The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 12:47pm
Broadcaster

Dusting off the rulebook

I'm ashamed to say my fellow sportscasters didn't have a clue about this situation. Lincoln County (in red) is leading 21-7, and had just forced a punt by Hawkinsville from deep in its endzone. LC fair caught the ball at the Hawkinsville 32 with 18 seconds left in the second quarter. Then the fun began.

Here's the video

LC HC Larry Campbell has been at Lincoln County since 1971 and has a 403-69-3 record. Not much beats experience.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Priceless !
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Was this a six man crew? Is that the norm for Georgia? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but with 5-man mechanics wouldn't the R and U be under the uprights for the free kick?
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Was this a six man crew? Is that the norm for Georgia? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but with 5-man mechanics wouldn't the R and U be under the uprights for the free kick?
I noticed the R behind the kicker as well and thought the same thing. In 5 man the R and U go under.

As soon as I heard "fixin" 3 times I thought this was a game in Dallas. I tease my friend all the time (she's originally from Dallas) for using that term. She's always "fixin" to do something.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

I love it! Without that accent it wouldn't be near as funny.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Even in a 4-man crew, the R and U would be under. I guess they don't see this play very often.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 07:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theisey
Even in a 4-man crew, the R and U would be under. I guess they don't see this play very often.
Hoo-wee!

There are at least 6 officials on the field.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Looks really cold there

They've got long sleeves and gloves on. Must have dipped below 60 that night.

Hoooooooo-weeeeeeeeee!

Never knew Boomhauer did play by play.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Ok, here is my question. Why have the U and R be under the uprights? What is the rationale? Why not have the guys who are normally there under the uprights? I know it is the mechanic, but why????
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
Ok, here is my question. Why have the U and R be under the uprights? What is the rationale? Why not have the guys who are normally there under the uprights? I know it is the mechanic, but why????
Well I guess we can answer this with a couple of questions. Where would the R then go if the LJ and BJ are under? What if the kicker hit the ball wrong and there was a return? Can you see some U's running 80 yards?

OK U's - I said "SOME U's"
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
It was probably somebody's personal touch to the mechanics from years long ago.
The thought process might have went.. "say, this is a free kick isn't it? So let's be in free kick positions. But who goes under the posts? Hmm, let's take the closest officials".
Whala... now the R is moved under the post. Why not the U as well? Don't know. Two under would have been the best option. Quite a number of years back, it would have been the R and H until the NFHS mechanics switched those two on free kicks in the four-man mechanics.

Actually it really doesn't matter as long those under the posts know what a good vs. a no-good kick really is or when the ball becomes dead by rule.

Last edited by Theisey; Sat Jan 27, 2007 at 07:35am.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theisey
It was probably somebody's personal touch to the mechanics from years long ago.
The thought process might have went.. "say, this is a free kick isn't it? So let's be in free kick positions. But who goes under the posts? Hmm, let's take the closest officials".
Whala... now the R is moved under the post. Why not the U as well? Don't know. Two under would have been the best option. Quite a number of years back, it would have been the R and H until the NFHS mechanics switched those two on free kicks in the four-man mechanics.

Actually it really doesn't matter as long those under the posts know what a good vs. a no-good kick really is or when the ball becomes dead by rule.
That is what I figured, but it just seams odd after explaining how it is all going to work to both teams, (and you WILL have to do that) to have to run up to 70 yards to get under the posts. That might kill a few U's right there!
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 10:45am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
That is what I figured, but it just seams odd after explaining how it is all going to work to both teams, (and you WILL have to do that) to have to run up to 70 yards to get under the posts. That might kill a few U's right there!
It's my (as a white hat) first thought after a safety -- crap, I gotta run 100 yards or so now
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

I think somebody should be fixin to educate those announcers. I have thought for a long time that HS ball on TV should have an official as a resource up there in the booth.

As for the coverage of the free kick, I think it is natural for the free kick coverage to be the same as a "kickoff" free kick and have the R and U down there. (5-man) Although, I hope if this play ever happens in a game that I am doing, that I remember what the heck our positions should be.

I bet after the game the announcers went out for some mud-runnin and bass feeshin!
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 02:40pm
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
I think somebody should be fixin to educate those announcers. I have thought for a long time that HS ball on TV should have an official as a resource up there in the booth.
I would LOVE for an official to be in the booth with me as a resource on TV or radio. That would have kept some of my bigger gaffes to a minimum. Problem is in some of those HS pressbox booths, there is barely enough room for a two-man broadcast crew, let alone three people.

I once had to share a booth with my color commentator, the OC, and the DC, all literally shoulder to shoulder, and a third coach standing behind us. The head coach said he could hear me calling the game in his headset.