The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

False Start?

I know a little bit about football rules, but not nearly as much as most of the people who post here. So please excuse me if this question is way off base..........

In the Eagles / Saints game, Jeff Garcia lined up in the shot-gun. The center did a direct snap to the running back. However, when the ball was snapped, Jeff Garcia had his hands extended towards the center, as if he was going to take the snap. I thought that the quarterback had to take the snap if he had his hands extended like this, otherwise it is a penalty.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Most of us here are either high school, NCAA, or semi-pro officials so the codes are different. Semi-pro usually uses NFL rules so you might get an exact answer out of someone who knows the NFL code.

If I were a betting man I would say that all 3 codes agree on this one. If Garcia had simulated a snap, then yes, I'm fairly certain you could call a false start. I can't imagine by having his hands simply "extended" it would warrant a flag, especially not a false start. If he had a quick, jerky motion with his hands and had the defense jump offsides (or NZ at the snap) then I would guess you could then call it a false start, but not simply having his hands extended as you say.

Unfortunately I don't recall the exact play....to many beers! Well maybe it's not so "unfortunate" I wish I can forget the whole game.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

I work semi-pro, with NFL rules, and there is no difference between any of the levels. There is no requirement for the QB to take a shotgun snap just cuz he has his hands extended forward.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

In NFL rules, if the QB is under the center, then the snap must go to him. If he's in the shot gun formation, the snap can go to any back. What a particular back does with his hands in the shotgun formation is irrelevant.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys. I thought that I remembered Payton Manning being called for a penalty on a similiar play a year ro two ago duirng a playoff game, but I must be remembering it wrong.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 03:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
The play I think you may be thinking of happened when Manning was under center. He settled in under center and then started doing his usual checks and moving around to "change" the play. As he was slid behind the guard and pointing like a maniac, the center snapped it to the running back (E. James), who ran for a first down. This play was flagged as the NFL has the requirement that once taking a position under center that player must take the snap. I'm not an NFL rules expert, but I think there may be an exception. Something like moving from under center and resetting in a shotgun formation might be disolve the requirment, but the general intent of the rule is to prevent deception.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

That is the play I am thinking of. I forgot the detials, but after reading your description, I remember it the same way. Thanks!
Old Sun Jan 21, 2007, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner
I'm not an NFL rules expert, but I think there may be an exception. Something like moving from under center and resetting in a shotgun formation might be disolve the requirment, but the general intent of the rule is to prevent deception.
That is correct in the NFL, if he is under center, he must assume the position of a backfield player, and then the ball can be snapped to someone else and he is an eligible receiver. This is covered in rule 8-1-4 in the NFL rule book.