The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 01:08pm
Broadcaster

Hawaii Bowl ejection

Did anyone see the ejection of Hawaii's Davone Bess after he caught the TD pass putting the Warriors up by 10 with 5:16 left in the game? Bess was hit with an USC flag for excesive celebration. Then he went to the stands and high-fived the fans leading to a second flag and an ejection.
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 02:23pm

I thought there was only one action penalized on that play and that it was for interacting with the fans. I had thought he had already had one previously in the game and that was his second. You can sure correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by sj; Tue Dec 26, 2006 at 02:28pm.
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a young man who is not smart enough to know when enough is enough. Too bad he let his team down. I know they won, but he still let his team down by getting ejected.
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

I know what the rules are, but when a player running through the endzone with the game clinching touchdown can't high five a few fans, we've crushed spontaneous non-threatening enthusiam in the game. I understand the logic, but I still don't agree.
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 04:17pm

To voiceoflg

If you're asking whether or not it was a good call or not then it was because interacting with spectators is listed specifically as unsportsmanlike. So the official had no choice. He had to flag it. So if someone thought it was a bad call they can't criticize the calling official. He was doing his job as he is told to do it.
Another poster right above here makes the case for maybe changing the rule somehow. But until then it's a flag and the kids have to learn that it is.
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

I agree it was there and had to be called. I just don't like the rule as written.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 09:12am
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj
To voiceoflg

If you're asking whether or not it was a good call or not then it was because interacting with spectators is listed specifically as unsportsmanlike. So the official had no choice. He had to flag it. So if someone thought it was a bad call they can't criticize the calling official. He was doing his job as he is told to do it.
Another poster right above here makes the case for maybe changing the rule somehow. But until then it's a flag and the kids have to learn that it is.
I'm not criticizing the official. I just wanted the opinions of those who actually do the job. The next game I officiate will be my first, but I agree with Steve. It is a bad rule, but it is indeed a rule and thus must be enforced.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, but it's a bowl game. Could be the last game this kid ever plays. I think there should be some latitude in specific situations. This being one of them. That kid should not have been ejected.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

"Coach, I'm sorry, I was looking for the ballboy and trying to get a ball ready for the extra point. I never saw the player go to the stands. I completely missed it!"
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Well I will take the contrary position and say I favor the rule as written and as it was enforced in this game. There are serious safety issues, both with the fans and with the players, whenever they get that close a proximity where both are highly excited and animated. That is reason enough in my mind to keep the rule as written. But, additionally, the whole team is responsible for that TD, not just the one player. So do we let the whole team go over?
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

I hate when you use logic!
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

The sooner the NFL implements more ways to curtail their players celebration antics, the better I'll like it.
As long as the NCAA says to flag UC act regardless of severity, the better the game be.
As long as my state says to not issue warnings, I'll continue to be the "bad" official who doesn't tolerate an individual who forgets he is one of 22 others playing on either side of the ball.
I wish I could hit up the coaching staff for not take the responsibility for many of these acts.

I'm with TXMike on this one. Keep flagging them until it stops.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj
To voiceoflg

The kids should learn it from coaches, not from experience. A disciplined team is one that is well taught.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelDeuce
Yeah, but it's a bowl game. Could be the last game this kid ever plays. I think there should be some latitude in specific situations. This being one of them. That kid should not have been ejected.
I see it as "it's his last game, he should know the rule by now."
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Second Unsportsmanlike

I agree with the flag thats how NCAA and conferneces want it called

Also remember that was his second he got a UC in the first half and had been talking trash the entire game.