The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

NFL Clarification - Offsetting Penalties

I believe this was in the Washington-New Orleans Game. I'm sure the officials administered it correctly, but I'm interested in what the rule is nonetheless.

A2 holds back at the line of scrimmage. After A1 runs out of bounds, he is hit by B1, who is flagged for a late hit personal foul. The R said that the penalties offset and that the down would be repeated.

Few questions:
What is the NFL rule on dead ball fouls? Is there some time limit, or was this considered a double foul because it was still 'part of the play' even though the runner had stepped OOB?

In NFHS, we'd penalize both fouls, right? Go 10 yards back from the spot of the hold, then go 15 yards forward from that point (the succeeding spot). A would either repeat the down, or be awarded a new series, depending on where the ball was after the defensive penalty was marked off.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

In Fed it's a live-ball/dead-ball situation and you would administer both penalties.

I was going to work semi-pro a couple of years back and got an NFL rulebook. I'm fairly certain I read something about what they call a "continuing action foul" which sounds like the case here. These fouls are treated as live-ball fouls in the NFL
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge
In Fed it's a live-ball/dead-ball situation and you would administer both penalties.

I was going to work semi-pro a couple of years back and got an NFL rulebook. I'm fairly certain I read something about what they call a "continuing action foul" which sounds like the case here. These fouls are treated as live-ball fouls in the NFL
I work semi-pro ball using NFL rules, and yes continuing action fouls can offset.