The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Question

I had a play last night, I was on far side of the line, on the other side is a guy who does very few games below NCAA. there was a dead ball foul, close between Defense jumping in and Offense jumping at the same time, it was on his side and it was again very close. I go in to help add anything I could , the final descision (led by the college guy) was dead ball offsetting False start on O and encroachment on D. Is this possible? and has anyone else had this?
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

You should not have offsetting in that case. One of them fouled first. You are getting paid to pick one. But remember that it is a foul for A to move simulating the snap and a foul for B to encroach. B's encroachment involves moving and covering some distance. So if the both move at the same time then it was A's foul.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Not to mention that A is supposed to know the snap count. I had a similar play last week. I'm on the wing. My wideout goes on 1 obviously not remembering the count. The entire defensive line goes on 1 because thats what the offense has been doing all night. We blow the play dead and come in to discuss. I said that it looked like both moved at the same time but I felt it should be a false start for the reason you just mentioned. The white hat called encroachment. I think mainly because the whole defensive line jumping was more noticable. We didn't get a chance to discuss it after the game.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Actually had a game where the defense jumped offside the same time the play clock ran out. Now whadda ya do??