The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Joe Horn's kid playing football?

Low and behold it happened! A kid scores a touchdown in a high school game on turkey day and damn if he doesn't pull a sign out from under the goal post pad to show to the fans after his TD! I guess it's something we should be checking for in our preGame field inspection.

Of course my LJ and BJ had prompt rags. It would have made my day if they asked him if he was related to Joe Horn.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
I probably would've ejected him too. But that's just me.

Ba humbug!!
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
How did his coach react?
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsrc
I probably would've ejected him too. But that's just me.

Ba humbug!!
Without a doubt.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
How did his coach react?
Actually, I don't quite remember what his coach did. We had soooo many USCs in the game. We had offsetting USC's right at the coin toss. I was two inner city schools in Camden, NJ and they really get at each other.

You guys bring up good points about DQ and I never really considered it at the time.

I actually didn't see the sign. It had blown out of the player's hands before the officials could get their hands on it. It was during the Nor'easter storm we were having and the winds were wipping pretty good. It blew into the fence and a fan got it before the officials could. If it said something offensive I'm sure we would have had a DQ.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge
We had offsetting USC's right at the coin toss.
Offsetting USCs? No such animal in NFHS. Not sure how it works in NCAA.

Rule 10 Enforcement of Penalties
SECTION 1 Procedure After A Foul
ART. 1 When a foul occurs during a live ball, the referee shall, at the end of the down, notify both captains. He shall inform the captain of the offended team regarding the rights of penalty acceptance or declination and shall indicate to him the number of the ensuing down, distance to be gained, and status of the ball for each available choice. The distance penalty for any foul may be declined. If the penalty is declined or if there is a double foul, there is no loss of distance. In case of a double foul, the captains are not consulted since the penalties offset. The captain’s choice of options may not be revoked. Decisions involving penalties shall be made before any charged time-out is granted either team.

Notice that the only mention of offsetting is in the case of a double foul. The following definition of double foul specifically excludes USC fouls.

Rule 2 Definitions of Playing Terms
Section 16 Fouls and Penalties
Art. 2 Types of fouls are:
b. Double-one or more live-ball fouls (other than non-player or unsportsmanlike) committed by each team at such a time that the penalties offset.

In situations where the USCs occur in the middle of the field, the fouls appear to offset as you end up in the same location. Inside the thirty however, the location can change depending on who fouled first. The location will definitely change inside the fifteen regardless of who fouls first.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Hey Joe,

Any games this weekend? No final for our crew but I'm holding chains N2G2 final.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Wow, three times in a week! I've seen this said on three different spots.

Dead ball fouls cannot offset. Only live ball fouls can offset. The distances cancel out but that isn't offsetting.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Under NCAA rules dead ball fouls that have not been completed can in fact "offset ....... and the penalties are cancelled". (See NCAA 10-1-5)

While we need to pay attention to the details, there are in fact times when dead ball fouls by opposing teams do "offset".
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37
Offsetting USCs? No such animal in NFHS.
I think we all pretty much understood what he was saying.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 11:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge
Actually, I don't quite remember what his coach did. We had soooo many USCs in the game. We had offsetting USC's right at the coin toss. I was two inner city schools in Camden, NJ and they really get at each other.
Camden??? You got off easy. Back around 1980/81 in Mike Rozier's last high school game there was a full fledge riot at the game involving a motorcycle gang.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsrc
Wow, three times in a week! I've seen this said on three different spots.

Dead ball fouls cannot offset. Only live ball fouls can offset. The distances cancel out but that isn't offsetting.
OK, I should clear this up. When I said offsetting I should have said the distances cancel which is what I said in my penalty announcement.

I tell my crew to always walk off both distances but since this was the opening kickoff we didn't do that.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Hey Joe,

Any games this weekend? No final for our crew but I'm holding chains N2G2 final.
Nah, I went to Army v. Navy in Philly. If I had stayed as Line Judge (instead of moving to Referee 3 years ago) I would have been in the final that was played immediately prior to yours in Giants Stadium. My prior crew had the N1G2 at 1:30

We were shut out this season due to logistics. The state assigns the semis and the finals as you know and our local chapter assigns the quarterfinals. We did not get a quarter because our exec board put my crew in for a semi. Then, after the quarters were over the state came back and told our exec board they needed to trim the semi entrants by one crew. Since I had the youngest out of the 7 crews that we were allotted for the semis we were low man on the totem pole according to my president. He said the same exact thing happened to his own crew 5 years ago so I believe what he's telling me.

My confidence was in the toilet prior to getting an explanation. Now that I got one we feel "ok, bleeps happens" and just continue to work hard as we usually do.

Last edited by ljudge; Sun Dec 03, 2006 at 10:44am.