The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

OSU-MICH: ABC Announcers recognize great call by official..by name!

Got to sit and watch the OSU/Michigan game today which was a nice treat. I believe in the 3rd quarter, an OSU receiver made a great acrobatic catch in the end zone right near the sideline. Made a great effort to keep his feet in (i know he only needs one, but that one was really really close).

Anyway, the SJ made a great call. He was right on the pylon, about 3 yards back. You could clearly see him looking at the feet, then double-checking to make sure the receiver still had the ball and then signaling touchdown.

On the subsequent replays, after the announcers gushed over the catch (and rightly so), to my surprise, they began to gush over the official's call and mechanics. Herbstriet I think it was, even said "That's great mechanics by that official". Brent M. then identified the side judge by his full name and commended the entire crew for the job they had done thus far.

I was pleasantly surprised and proud at the same time.
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 10:48pm

Yes, I thought that was great! The Side Judge made a great call, and to be given the credit and recognition was something rarely seen. Kirk Herbstriet sure did surprise me with that one.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

I have noticed that the announcers will be critical of crews during games, but it seems as this year they have been doing a better job of complimenting them as well. It sure is nice when that happens.
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Musberger is a former baseball umpire and usually has good things to say about the officiating when its on. Yes, he's a bit of a hypester, and I can see why he would occasionally get on people's nerves, but I can't believe I'm the only one that thinks BM does a pretty good job.
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Good comments on helmet hit

The announcers also supported the officials on the play that may have sealed the game for Ohio State - the hit to the head by the Michigan defender. All 3 announcers agreed that it was the right call, even in such an important situation (it would have been 4th and long). Debatable whether the hit was out of bounds. A no-call would have been best on a late hit, but the hit to the head, and with the helment made it a call that had to be made (epecially being that they always protect the QB). They broadcast team also made a good point in distinguishing between NFL (helmet to helmet) and the college rule.

On another note: did anyone notice the difference in demeanor of the two head coaches? Jim Tressel was cool and calm the entire game, and is the same EVERY game. You didn't see him arguing when his player leveled the center on the punt, or on any other foul, for that matter. Meanwhile Lloyd Carr was arguing with the Linesman at every opportunity. When his player was downed at the 1 yard line, he was arguing the spot instead of taking care of the next play.
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Announcers complementing officials is all fine and good, and it was nice to see them give credit to that side judge, but let's remember that none of those three guys no the first da*n thing about football rules, let alone MECHANICS!!
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Wha?

Musberger is a former baseball umpire and usually has good things to say about the officiating when its on. Yes, he's a bit of a hypester, and I can see why he would occasionally get on people's nerves, but I can't believe I'm the only one that thinks BM does a pretty good job.

He's probably the reason I started watching games on mute. He's good for at least one, maybe two manglings of a rule per game. Hammers the obvious, spouts cliche after cliche, and is generally grating. But maybe that's just me.

In the paper here today, they had a picture of Bo Schembechler on top of the story and Lloyd Carr was his assistant. What was Carr doing in the photo? Screaming at an official. Great guy, class act. I wonder if he'll try to get one of the guys on the crew yesterday fired for some physical ailment.
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

On one of OSU's touchdowns, the announcers were saying the officials missed an obvious pick play. The receivers crossed and the defenders ran into each other (no contact was made by the offensive players). I don't believe this is a foul. Am I correct?
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj
On one of OSU's touchdowns, the announcers were saying the officials missed an obvious pick play. The receivers crossed and the defenders ran into each other (no contact was made by the offensive players). I don't believe this is a foul. Am I correct?
You would be correct. Look in rule 7-5 and for there to be PI, A or B must interfere with an eligible opponent's opportunity to move toward, catch or bat the pass. If they run into each other and A did not interfere with B, B just ran into his own man, you have no foul.

Now, you could have a foul without contact if B went out his way to avoid contact with A and two B players ran into each other, but that is not how you worded it. If in crossing, B did not go out of their way to avoid contact with A, but ran into another B defender, you'd have no foul.

Last edited by MJT; Sun Nov 19, 2006 at 10:29pm.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Another question about the game.

Disclaimer

My judgment regarding this play may have been impaired due to:

1. Overconsumption of alcohol

2. glare from my scarlet and gray glasses.

But, It looked to me that the contact on the snapper which drew the roughing call did not occur until after the snapper had had stood up and was facing the defender.

We (Federation) have been taught to protect the center until they are no longer vulnerable (ie head up, etc.)

Is there a difference in the Fed and NCAA rule?

Am I all wet about what I thought I saw?
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat
Another question about the game.

Disclaimer

My judgment regarding this play may have been impaired due to:

1. Overconsumption of alcohol

2. glare from my scarlet and gray glasses.

But, It looked to me that the contact on the snapper which drew the roughing call did not occur until after the snapper had had stood up and was facing the defender.

We (Federation) have been taught to protect the center until they are no longer vulnerable (ie head up, etc.)

Is there a difference in the Fed and NCAA rule?

Am I all wet about what I thought I saw?
He never did get his head up, and I didn't think he kept it down for an abnormal amount of time. I'm thinking it was the alcohol.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
...Now, you could have a foul without contact if B went out his way to avoid contact with A and two B players ran into each other, but that is not how you worded it. If in crossing, B did not go out of their way to avoid contact with A, but ran into another B defender, you'd have no foul.
REPLY: I'm not sure that's true for either Federation or NCAA. It's true for KCI if B has to avoid an A player, but not (I don't think) for OPI/DPI. OPI/DPI require contact except for Federatio faceguarding. Anyone else?
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

I am thinking of how you can have DPI when B cuts off the route, but you do have contact usually in that. Don't you think, however, that you could "interfere" without contact.

Here is the play. A84 and A80 run a crossing route. Defender B36 is one step behind A80 and has to take a drastic swerve in his persuit to avoid running into A84 and does so, barely avoiding all contact. He loses several steps in his persuit, and A80 catches the ball and runs for a TD.

What do you think?
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
I am thinking of how you can have DPI when B cuts off the route, but you do have contact usually in that. Don't you think, however, that you could "interfere" without contact.

Here is the play. A84 and A80 run a crossing route. Defender B36 is one step behind A80 and has to take a drastic swerve in his persuit to avoid running into A84 and does so, barely avoiding all contact. He loses several steps in his persuit, and A80 catches the ball and runs for a TD.

What do you think?
REPLY: I don't think there's a foul there Monte. A pick play involves an offensive player going out and initiating contact with a defender for the express purpose of taking him out of coverage. If the defender swerves to avoid that contact, I don't believe there's a foul.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy0125
On another note: did anyone notice the difference in demeanor of the two head coaches? Jim Tressel was cool and calm the entire game, and is the same EVERY game. You didn't see him arguing when his player leveled the center on the punt, or on any other foul, for that matter. Meanwhile Lloyd Carr was arguing with the Linesman at every opportunity. When his player was downed at the 1 yard line, he was arguing the spot instead of taking care of the next play.
I agree. Lloyd Carr is the reason I enjoy seeing Michigan lose. His history with officials is terrible. I'm going on memory here, but didn't he go nuts over the SWC crew at his bowl game last year? and I also believe he was instrumental in the firing of a good Big Ten official because he only has one eye. Jim Tressel shows class on the sideline. Carr comes off as a whiner blaming the officials for every misfortune his team suffers. Quite a contrast.

Congrats to the crew on a great game and kudos to the H for maintaining his cool with an idiot in his ear the whole game. He looked as calm as if he was strolling through the park on a Sunday morning.

Last edited by Opie; Mon Nov 20, 2006 at 12:12pm.