The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

"Nothing to lose" fouls

I have 2 situations that I am wondering what rules might apply.

1) Offense is on their own 1/2 yard line (backed up to the endzone). In this situation, the offense could a) try flinching to draw the defense over the line and hope that the officials don't see their false start, or b) simply wait for someone from the defense to jump offsides, and if no one does, just accept the delay of game penalty, which would put them back only 1/4 yard.

Is there a rule to prevent the offense from racking up multiple false start penalties or delay of game's, in the hope of getting just 1 offsides call on the defense?

2) Same but on the other side of the field. Offense has the ball, 1st and goal, with the ball only inches from the endzone. The defense could jump across the line over and over again, hoping that they time it right one of the times. If they are wrong, the ball is only moved a few inches closer, if they are right, they could be in the backfield before the lineman know whats going on.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Covered in Unfair Acts

Rule 9 section 9.

Article 2 - No team shall repeatedly commit fouls which halve the distance to the goal line.

In this case the game may be forefeited for repeated fouls.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

The Canadian rules (somewhat) address this situation. Note that we do not allow scrimmaging inside the one yard line and we only have three downs.

If the ball is on the Team A 1 yard line and Team A commits a foul, the penalty is loss of down on 1st or 2nd down (no real penalty on third down though.)

In addition, if the ball is on the Team B 1 yard line and Team B commits a foul, Team A is awarded an automatic first down (no real penalty if it is already 1st down.)

So in our code there is some recognition of additional penalties where the ball cannot be moved.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks for the reply guys.

ljudge, is that rule anywhere online? I tried a google search and only found it listed for a flag football league, but I bet they copied it from a real rule book.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 04:11pm
Chain of Fools

If you are a NFOA member with NFHS

you have access to the on-line rule book. Costs $30 per year. You can not copy and paste though.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

If you need it in official print or something you can go to nfhs.org and purchase a book through them. It costs $5 or $6...something like that. But as HLin said you can't paste so I believe your only remedy is to purchase the book. If you need a rule reference to prove a point to someone go to the coach of your team or try to ask a local official. I'm sure they'll show you the rule.
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkscore
Thanks for the reply guys.

ljudge, is that rule anywhere online? I tried a google search and only found it listed for a flag football league, but I bet they copied it from a real rule book.
Here you go.

SECTION 9 UNFAIR ACTS
ART. 1 . . . A player or nonplayer or person not subject to the rules shall not hinder play by an unfair act which has no specific rule coverage.
ART. 2 . . . No team shall repeatedly commit fouls which halve the distance to the goal line.
ART. 3 . . . Neither team shall commit any act which, in the opinion of the referee, tends to make a travesty of the game.
PENALTY: Unfair act – the referee enforces any penalty he considers equitable, including the award of a score – (S27). Repeated fouls (Art. 2) – the game may be forfeited.