The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 26, 2001, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Well I just turned my games back for this week because of an injury I sustained when I stepped in a 6" deep hole on a field Friday night (I did some job on my knee).

Anyway, I was just wondering if any of you have stopped a game in order to correct dry field conditions such as holes. It didn't hit me until later that it would've been a good idea to fill the hole before we continued the contest in consideration of player (as well as official) safety. It wasn't likely that a grounds person or even a shovel were in same area code of the field I was on, but I was curious to see how you guys have handled it.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2001, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
an ounce of prevention..........

Sorry to hear about your injury Zeke.

Safety should be the main concern of the crew before, during, and after the game. Do whatever needs to be done to fix the situation.

Did your crew walk the field before the game, looking for possible problems that needed to be addressed? Many times this step of the officials responsibility is taken too lightly.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2001, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Oh baby, I know how you feel. Yes, the game should temporarily be halted while the home team management gets the condition corrected. Possibly, if the teams are moving away from the problem area, the game could continue while the repairs are being planned. Someone could "guard" the danger area as well.

Several years ago, while working a scrimmage on an unlined field, I stepped into a hole at least that deep and about 10 inches long. It was well into the out of bounds area, but you could barely see it due to long floppy grass. I thought I broke the ankle. They put a mat over it since it was OOB, and since we had their first game next week, I know the problem was corrected by then.
Point being, when I walk the field, I'm at least 3 to 4 yards off looking for just this kind of problem. While I'm glad to say it has never occurred again, I limped through the entire season with a wobbly leg. Thank goodness for the trainers (at the NCAA level) as they gladly taped me up every game. It was not so easy for NFHS games, I'm a lousy taper.
Old Fri Sep 28, 2001, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Worst Field

I recently worked a Freshman game on a field we should probably have not permitted the teams to play on. This is a new school with new field in its second year. The crown of the field is uneven with one side being steeper from sideline to middle than the other. On the steeper side the ground is covered with patchy clumps of grass. Inbetween clumps is some gravel mixed in the dirt. At one 45 yard line near mid field there is a large flate rock flush with the ground, about 1 square foot in size. While running the sideline ona long scrimmage run I had to watch my feet to avoid the uneven ground and not trip or turn my ankle.

Thsi particulare school is new to football, and currently play only F and JV games. Next season they will add a partial varsity schedule. Teh stadium is small but high quality, bleachers, lights, scoreboard, and even play clocks in both EZ. The rpess box is yet to be built. This field needs a drastic overhaul before I'll work on it again.
Old Sun Sep 30, 2001, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeke5

Well I just turned my games back for this week because of an injury I sustained when I stepped in a 6" deep hole on a field Friday night (I did some job on my knee).

Anyway, I was just wondering if any of you have stopped a game in order to correct dry field conditions such as holes. It didn't hit me until later that it would've been a good idea to fill the hole before we continued the contest in consideration of player (as well as official) safety. It wasn't likely that a grounds person or even a shovel were in same area code of the field I was on, but I was curious to see how you guys have handled it.
Sorry to hear about your knee.

My line judge and linesman walk the field as the first order of business. But in our first scrimmage this year I stepped into a hole in the middle of the field. I summoned the AD who complained grounds crew was not available and he said, "just have the players run around it."

No way. The coaches agreed with me and found some sand from the high jump pit.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2001, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Our Crew always walkes the field before the game and look for sprinkler heads,holes exc and have them corrected before we get dressed for the game. We have came on two fields this season so far that needed to be worked on before the game started.
Old Sun Oct 07, 2001, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to zebraman55
Unhappy Field Inspections

Hope your recovery is quick! Before the end of the season and that you enjoy an oppporunity to work in your playoff structure!!

As mentioned earlier, first thing our crew does is walk the field. Wings take oob to hash on their side, looking for holes, sprinklers, any trouble situations oob along sideline (what engineer thought that placing the pole pit for the high jump along the sideline was a good idea! Or, the civil engineer who places a storm water sewer oob between the sideline and track!)

The referee, back judge, and umpire walk between the hashes. If holes are found, we notify game management. We have been known to hold kickoff until these are remedied.

If we do find one during the game, we take the first opportunity to correct the situation without interrupting the flow of the game (would hate to stop a drive or momentum).

Best wishes with your recovery!

zeb
Old Sun Oct 07, 2001, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeke5

Your field crew forgot to do the mandatory field check? Or was it that they weren't diligent enough???