The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Pondering a Pee Wee Call

Second guessing myself with respect to a call in a Pee Wee Championship Game.

A runs a sweep into its own sideline. B player hits A in play and runs him about 3 yards out of bounds and tackles him. I bagged the spot and threw the flag for PF. (This is where it gets interesting) As I am running to the pile, an A coach seems to lose control. It is hard to describe, but he yelled and grabbed the B tackler. The moment he grabbed him a light must have gone off in the Pee Wee brain of his and he proceeded to act tlike he was helping the B player up. It was very clear to me that his intentions were not good when he grabbed the kid, but he didn't actually do anything.

WHat if anything do you have.

I'll tell you what I did later.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

At the least I would have had an USF on the coach.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Reason # 323 for not doing non-school games.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I'm pretty sure you'd be skating a slippery slope if you penalized him for what you believed he might have thought about doing, especially if he ultimately did nothing.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

When you say the A coach yelled, if it was at the B player, I have a USC on the A coach. If he was just yelling in general, I have nothing since it sounds like he caught himself just in time.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

I would thank him for helping the player back to his feet using facial expressions and maybe a wink so that he knows that I saw what he was about to do. No need to accuse him of trying to throw a kid or anything. He will understand as he was smart enough to not actually do anything.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 08:19pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat
Second guessing myself with respect to a call in a Pee Wee Championship Game.

A runs a sweep into its own sideline. B player hits A in play and runs him about 3 yards out of bounds and tackles him. I bagged the spot and threw the flag for PF. (This is where it gets interesting) As I am running to the pile, an A coach seems to lose control. It is hard to describe, but he yelled and grabbed the B tackler. The moment he grabbed him a light must have gone off in the Pee Wee brain of his and he proceeded to act tlike he was helping the B player up. It was very clear to me that his intentions were not good when he grabbed the kid, but he didn't actually do anything.

WHat if anything do you have.

I'll tell you what I did later.
Definitely a foul on the coach. Possible ejection. There's a POE in Canada about addressing the opposing team.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Pee Wees always want a foul called - Nothing in particular but any foul will do. As you describe it - its not a late hit or a hit out of bounds if they are 8,9 or 10. Anything older and you have to start thinking. You'll probably get a nice argument, but its the reality of the game. To me the coach is an ejection. As soon as he "grabbed" the kid - hes done and then suspended.
He can try and make any argument he wants - the intent was there.
Its youth football and theres no place for that.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the responses. To clarify, after the late hit, the coach yelled at the other player and moved quickly to grab him. It was at this point that he seemed to come to his senses and pretended that he was helping the kid up.

After some fishing, I located and threw a 2nd flag. USC on the coach. He weakly protested by saying "I was helping him up." I simply told him he can not put his hands on an opposing player. I think that he knew that he had flirted with ejection and he didn't argue.

My 2nd guessing resulted from:

A: On one hand, it was clear to me that he went after the B player and put his hands on him.

B: On the other I would not have flagged it at all if he had just helped the kid up. I don't like to interpret intent when I officiate.

Thus, there was a good argument for a more severe penalty and an argument for no penalty at all.

Again, thanks to all those that responded.