The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)  
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley
Georgia changed their policy this year. They no longer consider protests.
We can still make fun of Georgia for a few more years can't we?
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L
Understand that there is no "state authority" in California. There are 10 sections to the CIF, each with semi-autonomous authority over how things go in their areas. Now then, we all operate under the same basic rules but there are variations. What rules regarding protests the Central Coast Section may have I don't know. However, upon reading the article, it's not even clear if this has gone anywhere beyond the 2 schools arguing over it. That may be just because the so-called "wronged" school knows there is no appeal process regarding judgement calls on the field. Until somebody actually goes to the Section, which the article mentions nothing about, there really isn't much for the Section admin to do, is there? Because at this point it's nothing but a lot of sour grapes in the paper.
Wow, it is really amazing to me how each state handles its athletics and officials differently. So, is there a state champion crowned thru a playoff in California?
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old Sat Nov 11, 2006, 12:12am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat
Wow, it is really amazing to me how each state handles its athletics and officials differently. So, is there a state champion crowned thru a playoff in California?
No.

Each of the 10 Sections has a champion in each of the Divisions they have. The San Diego Section has Div I thru V plus 8 man but the Southern Section has Divs I thru XIII or XIV.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old Sun Nov 12, 2006, 09:21am
(Something hilarious)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: These United States
Posts: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref inSoCA
No.

Each of the 10 Sections has a champion in each of the Divisions they have. The San Diego Section has Div I thru V plus 8 man but the Southern Section has Divs I thru XIII or XIV.
Are the winners of the three "bowl" games not going to be considered "
state champions?"
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old Sun Nov 12, 2006, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
Are the winners of the three "bowl" games not going to be considered "
state champions?"
I guess, but there is no true playoff like the other states.

Humorous note: The San Diego Section has a team with a 0-10 record in the playoffs.
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old Sun Nov 12, 2006, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 710
They're the best 0-10 team in the country, though.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old Sun Nov 12, 2006, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABoselli
They're the best 0-10 team in the country, though.

They are better than the other 0-10 that was considered.

In the last 3 years, they are 0-30.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 11:41am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref inSoCA
They are better than the other 0-10 that was considered.

In the last 3 years, they are 0-30.
Hey, I'll stack our 0-10 team up against anyone else's 0-10 team in the country! Call it the Irrelevant Bowl, or the Futility Bowl or the Toilet Bowl.

Yep, it's kinda embarassing for an 0-10 team to make the playoffs, but it was a strange set of circumstances that let them in. In their division, there are 10 playoff spots designated. There are only 14 teams in their division. One of those teams plays 8-man ball, so they are in the 8-man playoffs. 2 of the other teams are not eligible due to a number of forfeits. San Diego section instituted a "3 forfeits and you get no post season play" rule and those 2 teams got hit for using an ineligible player. Cost one of them 5 wins. So that left 11 teams for a 10 team bracket and the committee decided against reducing the number of teams in the bracket.

As for the state championship thing, yeah I guess the winners of the "bowl games" will claim the title, but since we have 10 sections and only 2 teams from each division get invited to the "bowl", leaving 8 section champions out, I'm not exactly sure how valid that claim will be. It's not even clear what criteria will be used to determine who goes. I'm betting there's a lot of political influence that will guarantee it will be one team from the south and one from the north.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref inSoCA
I guess, but there is no true playoff like the other states.

Humorous note: The San Diego Section has a team with a 0-10 record in the playoffs.
Indiana has an all-in tournament so every 0-9 (9 regular season games here) team makes the playoffs! The tournament is in a class system (5 classes) where many teams play multiple classes each year. There was a 3A school last year that ended up 3-6 (all other teams in their conference are 4A or 5A) but won the state tournament in their class because they were playing other 3A teams. There is also no seeding since teams don't always play within their class during the season and there's no way to fairly seed teams. The games and locations are also done on a random draw within the sectionals so it's entirely possible for an 0-9 team to HOST a 9-0 team in the first round. It's also possible that the #1 and #2 team in a class could play in the first round if they happen to be in the same sectional. This year there were 2 0-9 teams playing each other in the first round!

And if you even think about suggesting this is an odd way to do playoffs, many of these Hoosiers get very defensive. Oh well...it's just a game.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L
Hey, I'll stack our 0-10 team up against anyone else's 0-10 team in the country! Call it the Irrelevant Bowl, or the Futility Bowl or the Toilet Bowl.

Yep, it's kinda embarassing for an 0-10 team to make the playoffs, but it was a strange set of circumstances that let them in. In their division, there are 10 playoff spots designated. There are only 14 teams in their division. One of those teams plays 8-man ball, so they are in the 8-man playoffs. 2 of the other teams are not eligible due to a number of forfeits. San Diego section instituted a "3 forfeits and you get no post season play" rule and those 2 teams got hit for using an ineligible player. Cost one of them 5 wins. So that left 11 teams for a 10 team bracket and the committee decided against reducing the number of teams in the bracket.

As for the state championship thing, yeah I guess the winners of the "bowl games" will claim the title, but since we have 10 sections and only 2 teams from each division get invited to the "bowl", leaving 8 section champions out, I'm not exactly sure how valid that claim will be. It's not even clear what criteria will be used to determine who goes. I'm betting there's a lot of political influence that will guarantee it will be one team from the south and one from the north.
BTW---Congrats on your Championship Assignment.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref inSoCA
BTW---Congrats on your Championship Assignment.
Thanx. Kinda makes one wonder just what the heck the powers that be are thinking, huh?
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old Fri Nov 17, 2006, 11:28am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 463
Huh. Under our four-man mechanics, for any FG attempt where the ball is snapped from outside the 15, the wing will move behind and in between the goalposts, and moves as necessary to rule on the kick. If the snap is from inside the 15, the wing stands to one side and only rules on over/under the crossbar; the R has the posts.

I don't much like this mechanic, but I'm not sure there's a better one.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old Fri Nov 17, 2006, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roamin' Umpire
Huh. Under our four-man mechanics, for any FG attempt where the ball is snapped from outside the 15, the wing will move behind and in between the goalposts, and moves as necessary to rule on the kick. If the snap is from inside the 15, the wing stands to one side and only rules on over/under the crossbar; the R has the posts.

I don't much like this mechanic, but I'm not sure there's a better one.
Not sure if this is correct but it's a slight variation of your 4-man mechanic: The R faces the holder as normal and has the upright on his side. The wing has the other upright and the crossbar. I think it would be hard for the R to have both uprights from his location. This is the way I've done it with 4-man mechanics.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Umpire Interference/ CA NCS Final, Bellarmine vs. Valley Christian-San Jose RPatrino Baseball 23 Wed May 31, 2006 12:13pm
Whistles' Anonymous Meeting #1: The Battle of the Sexes rainmaker Basketball 71 Mon Apr 04, 2005 03:44pm
Schools Beefkake Baseball 3 Fri Feb 01, 2002 04:48am
Should we ref at schools we are associated with rburn22281 Basketball 28 Wed Jan 09, 2002 07:34pm
Coach won the battle but lost the war rainmaker Basketball 12 Tue Oct 02, 2001 09:46am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1