The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

FSN best football plays

This may have been a repeat, but Fox Sports had the "Best Damn Football Plays." Two plays caught my eye:

First they had on a "wrong ball" play. We all know the story...center snaps to the side to the QB (not through the legs), QB moves toward bench with the "wrong" ball, coach holds up "correct" ball on sideline, as soon as QB is away from defenders he runs untouched for an 80 yard TD. Of course, the play was not flagged and they made no mention that this play makes such a mockery of the game and is incredibly illegal (and, please, no one try to argue that this is not illegal since the snap was a legal one).

The other play was a bit of a stumper for me. R2 fields a kickoff at his 5 yard line. At the R-15, all 11 R players come together in what looks akin to a huddle. Suddenly the "huddle" breaks and R10 comes out of the huddle with the ball, and then he runs for a TD. I can't immediately think of anything wrong with this. Under NF rules, is this a legal play?
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU213
The other play was a bit of a stumper for me. R2 fields a kickoff at his 5 yard line. At the R-15, all 11 R players come together in what looks akin to a huddle. Suddenly the "huddle" breaks and R10 comes out of the huddle with the ball, and then he runs for a TD. I can't immediately think of anything wrong with this. Under NF rules, is this a legal play?
This is legal assuming the handoff was not forward.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 08:35am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
First they had on a "wrong ball" play. We all know the story...center snaps to the side to the QB (not through the legs), QB moves toward bench with the "wrong" ball, coach holds up "correct" ball on sideline, as soon as QB is away from defenders he runs untouched for an 80 yard TD. Of course, the play was not flagged and they made no mention that this play makes such a mockery of the game and is incredibly illegal (and, please, no one try to argue that this is not illegal since the snap was a legal one).
I saw this on TV as well. I couldn't believe that this act wasn't flagged. Misleading tactic = 5 yards from PLS.

Quote:
Ditto... the hand off must be in an onside direction, otherwise it is illegal.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

Play #2 is called the "Rosebud" and has been around for about 50 years.

Regards,
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

The first play was legal when it was run. I believe it happened in about 1996. We had the team that ran it in the last regular season game this season and he made sure to state that he wouldn't be running it. This coach is the third there since the coach in that play. We got a good laugh out of it.

They went over the play with the officials that night and everything was deemed to be legal. The coach and the quarterback were flown to New York to be on Letterman. The next year the NF expanded/clarified 9-9-3 to cover this type of play.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 04:29pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Play #2 is called the "Rosebud" and has been around for about 50 years.

Regards,
And still legal.