The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Informing Captains on Penalties

Do teams get the choice to accept or decline every foul? What I'm getting at is on dead ball fouls like delay of game, false start, or encroachment, etc., does the captain get a choice or do you just automatically mark it off?
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 02:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

By rule yes. Any penalties yardage can be declined.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe
Do teams get the choice to accept or decline every foul? What I'm getting at is on dead ball fouls like delay of game, false start, or encroachment, etc., does the captain get a choice or do you just automatically mark it off?
They can, and they might. Some teams take delay penalties to get better position for a punt, they might want to decline that one. For the most part use your best judgement.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

In practice, when it's obvious, start walking it off. They can always get your attention before you're done and decline on the off chance that they want to do that.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
In practice, when it's obvious, start walking it off. They can always get your attention before you're done and decline on the off chance that they want to do that.
That has been my practice for many years, but, if there is an end of the run spot, make sure the official with that spot holds it until the penalty is assessed.

A couple of weeks ago, it was 1st and 10. The run gained around three yards, but there was a hold at the LOS. I though 1st and 20 was a lot better than 2nd and 7, so we started walking. The coach, however, wanted the 2nd and 7, and the captain let me know while the umpire was administering the yardage. The problem was, the LJ had left the spot where the run ended. We guessed, and the film showed we missed it by over a yard.

That will not, however, preclude me from marking them off when I think they are obvious. We will just be more careful about holding the end of the run until it is too late for the captain to say anything.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe
A team always has a choice. My routine is to walk off these fouls when it is obvious but think before you do the walk-off if there are other factors.

For instance, had this situation. Five seconds on the clock when Team A false starts. Now acceptance of the penalty means Team A will get one more play regardless. Decline the penalty and Team A has to snap within five seconds. I explained it to the captain because of the impact of the penalty. Any other time, its five yards and start the clock.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37
That has been my practice for many years, but, if there is an end of the run spot, make sure the official with that spot holds it until the penalty is assessed.

A couple of weeks ago, it was 1st and 10. The run gained around three yards, but there was a hold at the LOS. I though 1st and 20 was a lot better than 2nd and 7, so we started walking. The coach, however, wanted the 2nd and 7, and the captain let me know while the umpire was administering the yardage. The problem was, the LJ had left the spot where the run ended. We guessed, and the film showed we missed it by over a yard.

That will not, however, preclude me from marking them off when I think they are obvious. We will just be more careful about holding the end of the run until it is too late for the captain to say anything.
When I meet with each head coach, I tell them I will give the captain the most obvious choice unless I see you telling them different.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland
A team always has a choice. My routine is to walk off these fouls when it is obvious but think before you do the walk-off if there are other factors.

For instance, had this situation. Five seconds on the clock when Team A false starts. Now acceptance of the penalty means Team A will get one more play regardless. Decline the penalty and Team A has to snap within five seconds. I explained it to the captain because of the impact of the penalty. Any other time, its five yards and start the clock.
A false start is a dead ball foul. The provision to extend the period for an untimed down applies only to fouls that occur during the last timed down. In your scenario the false start did not occur during the down. If the clock was stopped because of the penalty it will start on the ready for play. If A can not snap the ball before time expires the period is over.

NF 3-3-3 A period must be extended by an untimed down if during the last timed down of the period, one of the following occured:

a. There was a foul by either team and the penalty is accepted, except for unsportmanlike fouls, non-player fouls and fouls that specify a loss of down.
b. There was a double foul.
c. There was an inadvertant whistle.
d. If a touchdown was scored, the try is attempted unless the touchdown is scored during the last down of the fourth period and the point(s) would not affect the outcome of the game of playoff qualifying.