The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 14, 2006, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Out coaching the rules

During the pre-game conference with the coach, he mentioned that he runs a spread offense from the shot gun and the RB starts motion (sideways) just before the snap. He said he had been called for illegal motion several times and it should not have been. It was a coached and a legal technique. I told him - no problem as long as his actions didn’t simulate the snap.

First few plays, he was correct. Just before the snap, the RB made a very deliberate move (sideways) toward the QB (in gun), either handed to or faked to RB – no problem. Then the coach began to run motion – yeah the RB moves in the same manner – nailed him for illegal shift. Then they aliened with two RB’s on either side of the QB and they both moved in the same manner prior to the snap. I suppose I didn’t consider all the possibilities of running quick motion in pre-game!

The other problem I have seen in the spread is the RB taking a skip-hop in place (not toward the LOS) just before the snap. It’s not so obvious or jerky (in my opinion) that it simulates the snap but could be considered by many, illegal motion. Since the back can go in motion, I justify it as late motion. I think the only consideration is whether it was a false start (again, my opinion). I am just curious to know if other officials are seeing the same type things and how tightly you are calling it.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbref
...the RB taking a skip-hop in place (not toward the LOS) just before the snap. ...
The "skip-hop" is a false start if it is prior to the snap.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37
The "skip-hop" is a false start if it is prior to the snap.
REPLY: Is that a 'local' interpretation or did you see that in some Federation or NCAA book/bulletin?
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: Is that a 'local' interpretation or did you see that in some Federation or NCAA book/bulletin?
Fed 7-1-7 After the ball is ready for play and before the snap begins, no false start shall be made by any A player. It is a false start if: a. A shift or feigned charge simulates action at the snap.

The way I envision dumbref's situation, the running back is doing the "skip-hop" as the first movement of his participation in the play, and is doing it prior to the snap. Perhaps I am not envisioning it correctly.
Old Sat Oct 21, 2006, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37
The way I envision dumbref's situation, the running back is doing the "skip-hop" as the first movement of his participation in the play, and is doing it prior to the snap. Perhaps I am not envisioning it correctly.
You have the correct picture. If the movement is not demonstrative and not toward the LOS, why would it be considered anything more than a man in motion? Judgment call? Absolutely!