The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Question KCI on scrimmage kick

Can K1 push R2 into R1 as R1 is in position to receive a scrimmage kick/punt? If R2 is (a) blocking or (b) do nothing but standing near R1. 6-5-6 does not seem to address this in my mind.
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
K1 pushing of R2 into R1 that may subsequently cause the ball to be touched by R1 or R2 is ignored. Thus when K tries to pick it back up you will have first touching by K and any subsequent action can be brought back to that point. As far as KCI I am not sure that it would apply in this situation, but the touching by R would be ignored.
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGref
K1 pushing of R2 into R1 that may subsequently cause the ball to be touched by R1 or R2 is ignored. Thus when K tries to pick it back up you will have first touching by K and any subsequent action can be brought back to that point. As far as KCI I am not sure that it would apply in this situation, but the touching by R would be ignored.
Don't have my books, but I believe K is not allowed to contact an R player unless warding off a block. In the second scenerio you posed, if R is just standing there, I think you have a KCI for contacting R.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 04:36am
Official Forum Member

K1 may block anyone unless it is KCI, which would mean he would have to block R1. Since he is blocking R2 it is not an illegal block. Although I think you will rarely see K blocking on a scrimmage kick as they are the ones attempting to make the tackle. There is a good article on grantsrc's website that talks about blocking as "dancing" and how to determine who is "leading" the dance in order to judge forced touching.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2006, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar729
K1 may block anyone unless it is KCI, which would mean he would have to block R1. Since he is blocking R2 it is not an illegal block. Although I think you will rarely see K blocking on a scrimmage kick as they are the ones attempting to make the tackle. There is a good article on grantsrc's website that talks about blocking as "dancing" and how to determine who is "leading" the dance in order to judge forced touching.
But while the ball is in the air, if R2 is close enough to where the ball is coming down (i.e. in the OP, he's close enough to R1 to be blocked into him, and R1 is in or near the position where the ball is coming down), then contacting R2 (unless combating a block) would be KCI, since you don't yet know that R2 is not going to try to catch the ball.

If R2 is actively trying to block K, I agree with you.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 03:05am
Official Forum Member

totally agree with you on that situation