The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 07, 2006, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

side line warning

My white hat and I were discussing the side line warning provision last night after our game. He indicated that once one team gets a side line warning, that warning applies to both side lines. For example, I throw the flag on my sideline as a the LJ. The next series the L has an issue with his sideline. Instead of the visiting teams side recieving their first sideline warning, they'd recieve the five yard penalty.

I've looked in the rule and case books, but haven't found that yet. Any one got the reference?

...also as an after thought...on my sideline I had one coach that was communicating with the coach in the box via walkie talkie (instead of a head set). He was the only coach to use it and no players communicated at any point with the wireless device. Is this legal?
Old Sat Oct 07, 2006, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

The warning only applies to the team being warned - not both. 9-8-1-k and 9-8-3 PENALTY only says it's a warning. Doesn't say it's a warning for both teams.

Rule 1-6-2 allows "phones and headsets." I would allow anything similar unless it violates 1-6-1 (like sending pictures with a camera phone).

You know - with today's booming technology, I wonder if the federation shouldn't take a look at this rule just to be sure it is up to date.
Old Sun Oct 08, 2006, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth
My white hat and I were discussing the side line warning provision last night after our game. He indicated that once one team gets a side line warning, that warning applies to both side lines. For example, I throw the flag on my sideline as a the LJ. The next series the L has an issue with his sideline. Instead of the visiting teams side recieving their first sideline warning, they'd recieve the five yard penalty.

I've looked in the rule and case books, but haven't found that yet. Any one got the reference?

...also as an after thought...on my sideline I had one coach that was communicating with the coach in the box via walkie talkie (instead of a head set). He was the only coach to use it and no players communicated at any point with the wireless device. Is this legal?
Maybe he umpires baseball, and is thinking about warning the pitchers and head coaches on hit batters.

Bob
Old Sun Oct 08, 2006, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

For the life of me, I can't figure out why people read things into the rules that aren't there.
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
For the life of me, I can't figure out why people read things into the rules that aren't there.

I agree. It seems sometimes that half of the posts are from guys who won't enforce the rules that are in the book because they don't like them/think they are nit picky (sweat bands, etc) and the other half of the posts are from guys who want to enforce stuff that isn't there (spotters in the endzone, gloves they don't like, etc.).