Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 10:45am
Get away from me, Steve.

Benefit of the doubt

We had a play last night I'd like feedback on:

Two big schools. All 3 local network channels have TV cameras there. This is important (later).

Runner goes around left end. He's nearing the goal line. I'm R and looking in that general direction, but not really paying attention since I'm cleaning up the line play.

I saw the pylon go over. I thought the runner had hit the pylon. My L spots the ball on the 1-yard line. No big deal, I figured the pylon may have gotten kicked over, and my L is a top-notch official, so he saw what he saw.

I found out at halftime that the runner fumbled the ball. All I said last night in the lockerroom was -- in a joking manner -- I hope the ball wasn't what hit the pylon.

So I sat down and watched the local highlights (I TiVo all three news broadcasts) and one of them had this very play.

The ball did shoot out of the runners hand, and after 4 stop action replays I was able to determine that the ball did not knock the pylon over, but rather it was the runner's hand AFTER the ball came out. It's clear the ball came out a good half-second before the pylon went down and the stop action was simply to see whether it was the ball or the hand that knocked the pylon over. The ball wouldn't have flattened the pylon in that manner, hence it had to be the hand hitting it.

Of course, this brought another question. Did the ball go OVER the pylon or outside it. And even with the back of the endzone shot, the best one imaginable for this play, I wouldn't bet my life in either direction. Heck, I'd probably flip a coin, it was that close.

So, which way does the benefit of the doubt swing on this? I mean, it's a harsh penalty (touchback) if you rule it out in the endzone, but then again, the runner DID fumble.

Actually, this is a hypothetical based on a real situation since I had a wing right there and he made the call immediately.