View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 29, 2001, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Zeke5,

Thank you for correcting me. I have been reading whatever I can find on the subject but obviously had not found all the facts.

I agree with you that officials are a significant part of the NFL and deserve to share in the profits. I missunderstood about the contract status and thought that the NFLRA just wanted to renegotiate an existing deal. I don't like it when players do it and I wouldn't like it if officials did it. Fortunately I was wrong and I'm glad you straightened me out.

Maybe you can help me understand this further...

Why is the NFLRA asking to make officials full-time employees? Would they put in that many hours, year-round? I know the officials in my association do a few clinics in the off-season but not enough to justify full-time employment. How would it work? Is there even enough work?

Finally, you say it is the League's method to wait until the last minute. What is going on that makes negotiations break off without progress? I get the perception (from the press) that the League has budged a little but the NFLRA has not. Is this incorrect?

Thank you in advance for enlightening me, again. I came here to find out more about this issue because it concerns me greatly. I love the game and hate the idea of a strike BY ANYONE, yet I understand when the circumstances call for one. Hopefully, they will come to an agreement!

p.s. (Brad) I would share my thoughts with anyone (and have done so). Why do you think I'm here? And why do you think that I was looking for someone to contact about it? If I knew an NFL official I would have asked them first. Is officiating.com not a good source for this kind of information? I'm sorry if I have offended you.