The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   NFHS Rules: Pass eligibility for the player on the end of line. (https://forum.officiating.com/football/28401-nfhs-rules-pass-eligibility-player-end-line.html)

BArangers Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:47am

NFHS Rules: Pass eligibility for the player on the end of line.

Can someone direct me to the location in the NFHS rule book that covers when a player that’s on the end of the line is eligible or not given that he is numbered properly.

HLin NC Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:16am

You might want to refine your question to the

scenario you are trying to portray:

Rule 2-31-3 defines a back.

Rule 2-31-9: defines a lineman

Rule 7-2-5 discusses formation, position, numbering and action at the snap. This is probably the rule you want.

BArangers Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:28am

Thanks for the reply:

Scenario: Tight end on the end of the line, with a single wide out that is also on the line.
At the snap tight end and wide out proceed down field for a pass the crosses the LOS.

Is there a particular rule or case scenario that addresses this formation and play

Rich Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BArangers
Thanks for the reply:

Scenario: Tight end on the end of the line, with a single wide out that is also on the line.
At the snap tight end and wide out proceed down field for a pass the crosses the LOS.

Is there a particular rule or case scenario that addresses this formation and play

You mean besides the one for ineligible downfield?

FootballRef05 Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:37am

Quote:

Thanks for the reply:

the TE is ineligible because the wide out covered him. Try the case book 7.2.5Situation B. I think this best describes what you are looking for.

BArangers Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:39am

Where in the rule book does it state that the player is ineligible in this scenario

I can't seem to find it in the rule book.

Thanks

BArangers Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:40am

Thanks for the reply

FootballRef05 Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:42am

The only eligible players are the ones on the end of their line or legally in the back field. Since he is covered by with wide out he is ineligible.

FootballRef05 Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:05pm

Quote:

Where in the rule book does it state that the player is ineligible in this scenario

I can't seem to find it in the rule book.

Thanks

Pg. 58 7.5.6a

All A players eligible by position and number include those, who at the time of the snap, are on the ends of their scrimmage line or legally behind the line (possible total of 6) and are numbered 1-49 and 80-99.

Junker Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:26pm

Can anyone explain this rule to JH coaches? I'm in my first year so I'm working mostly at the middle school level. Any time I try to explain this to a coach, they look at me like I'm speaking Chinese.

bluezebra Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker
Can anyone explain this rule to JH coaches? I'm in my first year so I'm working mostly at the middle school level. Any time I try to explain this to a coach, they look at me like I'm speaking Chinese.

That's because they have no idea of what a rule book is. By the way, which Chinese dialect?

Bob

FootballRef05 Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:41pm

What don't they understand? The eligibility rules are clear cut, on the end of the line or in the back field. What are they saying to you?

HLin NC Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:53pm

Flawed theories

Sadly, some think that because one is called something, say a tight end, that it makes it so.:rolleyes:

Kind of like when coach says, "that's not blocking below the waist, that's cut blocking- we teach our guys to do that."

Bob M. Thu Sep 21, 2006 02:18pm

Quote:

...Tight end on the end of the line, with a single wide out that is also on the line.

REPLY: This is what confuses people. Once there's a player (wideout) also on the line, the TE is no longer an "end." He becomes an interior lineman, governed by all the rules that govern guards and tackles. That's why he's ineligible. Only the players on the end of the line (or backs) are eligible. The coach can call this guy anything he wants, but he's no longer an end when there's a lineman outside him.

FootballRef05 Thu Sep 21, 2006 02:38pm

I think in the situation it is obvoius that the formation was screwed up and one of them was supposed to be off the line. Thye know it and IMO are playing stupid.