The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Hey,

I am curious as to how many states use three man mechanics?
If your state recently converted to 3 man how did it go converting over to it? Did your state cut the pay per game?

Our state is implementing 3 man mechanics at the state tournament level this year which means that we are now going to it during the regular season. I am excited about it but also have many reservations about how it is to be implemented. The pay per game for 2 man is now approximately $45 per game and will be $33 per game for 3 man. Some districts are also assumming that because of 3 man mechanics, a 3 man crew can now work the JV and Varsity game, back to back. Any thoughts, ideas, experiences, commnents, ideas?

[Edited by WAZebra on Oct 21st, 2004 at 02:33 PM]
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

We did not see any difference in the pay for 3 man vs 2 man.
One varsity game can range from $55.00 to $70.00 depending if you are going class A or class AA
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 01:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Only required for playoffs.

Quote:
Originally posted by WAZebra
Hey,

I am curious as to how many states use three man mechanics?
If your state recently converted to 3 man hows did it go converting over to it? Did your state cut the pay per game?
All playoff games are 3 Person in my state.

Each conference (or school) can decide on their own if they want to use 3 officials. The state has no real say in what they do during the regular season. But it makes since to use 3 Person crews for all varsity games since that is all they will see when it really counts.

The pay is also all over the place. I have been paid as high as $60 for one game, all the way down to $40 over my career.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
MA is going to introduce 3-whistle mechanics for the finals and semi-finals of our state tournament beginning this winter. We have no idea if/when it will be introduced for the regular season. We have no idea of what the pay will be.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

in our association We get $60 for 2 man this year and $50 for 3 man...it is up to each district what games they want 3 man...they are asked to schedule 2 games with 3 man and all the others can be 2 man..but all playoffs are 3 man....at $45 a game...state mandated... as for jv and varsity games...it is done when it's not going to be a very good game....but usually when it's 2 pretty good teams they try to shy away from it unless absolutely necessary.. which is a lot due to our lack of officials
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 02:27pm
Esteemed Participant

Ok WAZebra - you live in Southwest Washington, and are a teacher....hmmm, give me a few clues: where in SW WA? What district do you teach in, etc??? I live in Vancouver and teach for Battle Ground Schools...
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

In San Diego, CA 3 person is used at some tournaments and for playoffs, from the semi-final round and at all rounds of the state tournament. Our varsity game fees are $60. For 3 person, they are $50. Certain high-level games during league play will have 3 person crews if both sides agree to it.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Smile former WA State official

I officiated in Washington the past several years in the southeast part of the state, where we were doing 3 man. Now due to the nature of our assocation and the leagues we catered to, one three man crew was assigned to two varsity games- the boys and girls played back to back. Which was pretty much the only way to do 3 man in our association.

Our assocation required us to register for both boys and girls if we wanted varsity games. We also had to decide if we wanted to be evaluated for either boys or girls, for the purpose of assigning playoffs. (In Washington you are required to pay dues for both boys basketball and girls basketball to the state, for those that may not know.)

Our pay did drop, and yes the quality of officiating dropped in the second game especially towards the end. Which were two of the biggest complaints I had.

Not to mention there were problems adjusting from the variations between the boys games and the girls games in washington.

We also did not receive any on court training, so there were often rotation problems- which looked horrible. Moral of the story- work as many scrimmages, have some clnics. If we would have been more prepared it would have been a much smoother transition. I'll be curious to hear how it goes on the home front.

Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 10:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am so glad we do not have to do that Boy/Girl varsity thing here. I hate those type of assignments.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Re: former WA State official

Quote:
Originally posted by GregR072
Our pay did drop, and yes the quality of officiating dropped in the second game especially towards the end. Which were two of the biggest complaints I had.

Not to mention there were problems adjusting from the variations between the boys games and the girls games in washington.

GregR072,

How did officiating quality drop in the second game? I have found that back-to-back 3-person games isn't that taxing physically.

Being a ref who does both boys and girls in Washington, the rules differences are very minor. What were the adjustment problems?

Z
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

In GA, our association does only 3 man at the high school level. We always work a girls game followed by a boys game. Each game pays $38. Some high schools (but not ones assigned to our association) do use 2 man. That pays $45/game.

All JV and MS games pay $31.50 and are all 2 man.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 06:09am
Official Forum Member

For the past 2 years in northern VA, we have used 3-whistle on all varsity games. We also have several rec leagues that use 3-whistle. We have 1 assignor for scholastic and 1 for rec. HS varsity officials work boys and girls (just depends on what is assigned) and most nights we have a F/JV/V triple-header. It's rare that we have a BV/GV double-header. I prefer 3-whistle games and some nights I might do a freshman game at one school and then a varsity game at another school (we have about 75 HS in this area), and other nights I might have a F/JV schedule.

It took a while to convince some of the districts/regions to go to 3-whistle, but it seems to be working fine. We have at least one 3-whistle clinic each year and you can't work a playoff game above the district level unless you have attended the clinic.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: former WA State official

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by GregR072

GregR072,

How did officiating quality drop in the second game? I have found that back-to-back 3-person games isn't that taxing physically.

Being a ref who does both boys and girls in Washington, the rules differences are very minor. What were the adjustment problems?

Z

I personally felt that at times we lost focus in the second game, especially when the first game may have been very intense, and the 2nd game was sloppy, or a blow out. I had evaluators tell me this as well. I do agree with you that back to back 3-person games is not that taxing physically though. I just think we could have done a better job.

The rule differences were more of a nit-picking thing on my part. Every time in a girls game I'd start the 10 second count in the backcourt out of habit. Of course I always stopped, but it was an adjustment. Not that big of deal but a little thing that can make a difference.

Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: former WA State official

Quote:
Originally posted by BushRef
Rule differences between boys and girls? You must be talking college or above, cause last I checked the NFHS book, rules were the same for boys and girls, including the 10 second count and all.
Our state uses a shot clock for girls basketball which makes for a few minor differences.

Z
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
MA is going to introduce 3-whistle mechanics for the finals and semi-finals of our state tournament beginning this winter. We have no idea if/when it will be introduced for the regular season. We have no idea of what the pay will be.
Three man mechanics need to be introduced before you get to the state tournament series. We saw this in Illinois when they made the switch to three man. It is an adjustment for the officials and the games aren't called as clean as if they would have been had they been in the same situation they were used to during the season. Three man is better but it takes some adjustments.

[Edited by flsh224 on Oct 22nd, 2004 at 06:47 PM]