The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 13, 2006, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
forward latteral

team B intercepts a pass and then throws(pitches) the ball forward to a teamate who drops the ball and team A recovers. what should be done on this play? penalty and enforcement please.
Old Wed Sep 13, 2006, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

It's an illegal forward pass. The pass is incomplete and the play is dead. A 5 yard penatly is assessed against B at the spot of the foul. 1st and 10 for B.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
It's an illegal forward pass. The pass is incomplete and the play is dead. A 5 yard penatly is assessed against B at the spot of the foul. 1st and 10 for B.
REPLY: Note that the loss of down that's normally assessed for an illegal forward pass is waived since it will be a new series (first down) for B. All series must begin with a 1st down.
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 10:08am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

This is where I believe the Canadian Ruling is better.

Team B is guilty of an offside pass.

It is A's ball.
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Despite what the Boobs in the Booth say, there is no such thing as a lateral pass. Lateral means sideways, and the rule book recognizes FORWARD and BACKWARD PASSES, only.

By the way, forward lateral is a contradiction of terms. You're making the mistake (no doubt influenced by the announcers) that an underhand pass is a "lateral" pass.

Bob
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee

It is A's ball.
Team B intercepts the ball.

Team B then makes a illegall forward pass.

The penalty is Team B loses the ball.

How the hell is that better? You penalize a team by taking the ball from them?

Under NFHS, NCAA, and NFL rules, no foul has a penalty that includes losing possession.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee

It is A's ball.

This is why nobody cares about Canadian football since Warren Moon and Doug Flutie no longer make your game worth watching!
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Team B intercepts the ball.

Team B then makes a illegall forward pass.

The penalty is Team B loses the ball.

How the hell is that better? You penalize a team by taking the ball from them?

Under NFHS, NCAA, and NFL rules, no foul has a penalty that includes losing possession.
I think (and I'm GUESSING here, so don't shoot me!) that the reason Juggling thinks this is better is that he's envisioning an attempt to pitch to a teammate, which is (too all non-referee eyes) "fumbled" and recovered by A. Which is why he sees the penalty as more fair - Team A "recovered a fumble" to most onlookers, and I've been Johnny on the spot more than once when ruling such a play an illegal forward pass, thus denying A the apparent fumble recovery. Recovering team is NEVER happy.
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

OK I'm having a total brain meltdown here (I'll blame it on the Canadian rules). Forget the fumble recovery by A for a moment. Now, if there is a change of possession during a down (B intercepts A) and only B fouls after the COP (normal live-ball foul), then are there any penalty options for A?

Let's assume 1/10 @ 50. B intercepts a forward pass at the B-30 and runs to the B-45 and is downed. During the return, B99 clips at the B-40. Are there any options besides backing B up 15 from the spot of the foul and going 1/10 for B?

Now to follow up on the original post, we're saying that A cannot take the ball because the penalty has to be enforced?

thanks
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_NV
OK I'm having a total brain meltdown here (I'll blame it on the Canadian rules). Forget the fumble recovery by A for a moment. Now, if there is a change of possession during a down (B intercepts A) and only B fouls after the COP (normal live-ball foul), then are there any penalty options for A?

Let's assume 1/10 @ 50. B intercepts a forward pass at the B-30 and runs to the B-45 and is downed. During the return, B99 clips at the B-40. Are there any options besides backing B up 15 from the spot of the foul and going 1/10 for B?

Now to follow up on the original post, we're saying that A cannot take the ball because the penalty has to be enforced?

thanks

In the OP, there was no "fumble" for A to recover. Despite the fact that all of team A, plus the fans, plus the announcers "saw" a fumble, it was not a fumble ... it was an incomplete pass. (An illegal pass, yes ... but still an incomplete pass) You can't recover an incomplete pass, right?
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Let's take them one at a time...

Quote:
REPLY: Yes they have the option of either accepting or declining the penalty for B foul(s) after COP.

Quote:
REPLY: A could refuse the penalty for B's clip...but why would they? If they do B, has the ball 1-10 from B's 45 rather than from B's 25

Quote:
REPLY: No...we're saying that A can't take the ball because the IFP was incomplete. All A did was recover a dead ball. If A chose to decline the penalty, the ball would be awarded to B, 1-10 from the spot of B's illegal pass.
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There are no options for A to get the ball back if that is your question. A can decline the penalty if they really want to but I don't think you will see that happen. The foul after the COP is penalized using ABO because B is now the offense.
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

OK yes I see that, I was thinking fumble even though we had an IFP. A recovered a dead ball--no problem with that. Now, back to my original question if B only fouls after a COP, then A has options, but heither one will get them the ball back, correct?

thanks
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK yes I see that, I was thinking fumble even though we had an IFP. A recovered a dead ball--no problem with that. Now, back to my original question if B only fouls after a COP, then A has options, but heither one will get them the ball back, correct?

thanks
There are no options for A to get the ball back if that is your question.

(Sorry, Warren, for creating an echo in here.)