The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Deeps, my last post on this subject. If the coach wanted the ruling explained he has a procedure to follow. He can request a TO to confer with the referee. The coach is not to cross the field and approach an official who is working the other sideline.

I would certainly be having a conversation with any member of my crew who left their position to have a chat with the coach about a call. Even during time outs the officials have jobs to do.

It's been stated before; this situation should have been caught when the coach left his huddle and started for the other side of the field. It wasn't. Shame on the R, the U and the BJ but their lapses does not exonerate the coach's behavior.
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Just remember a few things...
  1. A coach does have a right to an explanation of what might have transpired on the field. He gets it when there's an opportune time. No need to stop the clock or take yourself away from game duties to explain. Do it when time allows. Relay the information to his sideline official if you're not in a place to explain it to him yourself. And...if you promised him an explanation, don't blow it off. Make sure you get back to him.
  2. When a coach comes onto the field for a TO, he does not have the right to come across the field to discuss anything with you as the calling official. However...
  3. He does have the right to use his TO to confer with the Referee, near his sideline--not in the middle of the field under the rule allowing a coach-referee conference. But even here, his 'right' is limited to discussing a possible misapplication of a rule. A difference in opinion about an official's judgment is off-limits. If the conversation begins with, "How could he call that pass interference...," the R should cut it off right there. "Thank you coach. I'll relay your concern to the back judge. Now you might want to attend to your team for the rest of your time out." Then walk away.
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roamin' Umpire
Varsity game Friday night, NFHS rules.
snip...
is approaching me from his huddle at the center of the field, yelling that the visitor's QB had thrown the ball OOB on the bootleg play, and I've got to make that call.
snip
Don't know if my typical response would have worked in this situation, but, consider this response:

"Coach, what I saw was a fumble, if it happened they way you say it did, I booted the call."

For me, this disarms 'em and shut's 'em up 99% of the time. They usually respond... "Oh....hmmm... OK" and return to wherever they were.
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

I know wasn't the point of thew post, but I have to ask..........
In the orginal play it was fourth down, I thought that you could not fumble the ball forward on fourth down. Shouldn't the ball have been spotted at the spot of the fumble?
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 11:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman
I know wasn't the point of thew post, but I have to ask..........
In the orginal play it was fourth down, I thought that you could not fumble the ball forward on fourth down. Shouldn't the ball have been spotted at the spot of the fumble?
NCAA rules, which are played in only 2 states at the HS level, yes. The other 48 states there is no such rule.
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

It's not just on 4th down. it's on any fumble that is forward and out of bounds. It's brought back to the spot of the fumble. If NFHS would adopt this rule, then we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelDeuce
It's not just on 4th down. it's on any fumble that is forward and out of bounds. It's brought back to the spot of the fumble. If NFHS would adopt this rule, then we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.
REPLY: But to clarify, ND is correct for NCAA fumbles that go forward and OOB. But for NCAA fumbles forward that remain (are recovered) inbounds, it's only on fourth down that they come back to the point of the fumble. For first, second, and third downs, fumbles that are recovered inbounds are treated identically to the way they are in NFHS.