The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

I would have a serious problem with a white hat who picks up my flag for DPI or OPI. He usually will not even see it occur if he is doing his job. He is wrong and in as good of way as possible you need to discuss it with him so he sees that. This is not a judgement thing, the rule book backs up your arguement and not his. The only judgement is if you think he has made his break to start his route or not.

I am the white hat on our crew and I'd never pick up a flag like that unless we discussed it as a group and someone else said they saw it differently and the official who made the call changes his mind. If he doesn't change his mind, and it is not a rule issue, but a judgement issue, his judgement is his flag and we will discuss it later to see if maybe his judgement was wrong. Now if he threw a flag and by rule it was not a foul, we will pick it up.

Good luck!
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

I agree. A referee who won't enforce a penalty because his ego makes him think he is a better judge of fouls than his crew members has got a serious problem -a problem that makes him unfit to work at any level. It's your job to call them and it's his job to enforce them.

You still should throw the flag on the play even if you get stuck working with him again. It's better that he has to explain to the coach or supervisor why he is refusing to adminiser the penalty than you have to explain how you missed the call.