The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

New Field Goal Mechanics

Does anyone have the link that discusses these mechanics? I understand what they are but would like to have a print out of exactly how they're stated. We had a lot of discussion about this last night and decided as a chapter to not adopt this change for this coming year. I would still like the publication however.
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge
Does anyone have the link that discusses these mechanics? I understand what they are but would like to have a print out of exactly how they're stated. We had a lot of discussion about this last night and decided as a chapter to not adopt this change for this coming year. I would still like the publication however.

http://www.oreofficials.org/files/sp...%20Changes.doc
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Thank you for the link...much appreciated. Your original comments are unwelcome so I won't bother to answer the sarcastic questions. I don't have control over what the exec board does and doesn't want to adopt.

Does your chapter put the hand to the face for an unbalanced line? Many chapters do not do that and I have read it on this very forum, but it IS an NFHS mechanic.
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

RonRef, we discussed this for a good half hour. The consensus was that it could lead to quite a bit of confusion so they felt since we had good coverage in the past to hold off on this for now. Most felt it could turn into a firedrill if wings got confused as to whether the kicker was left or right footed, which changes depending on which way the team was going, etc. I said that's a question I asked of the coaches in my pre-game and could be easily mitigated.

Please by all means let us know how it works for you and whether you think you have better coverage once you're doing it.

Honestly, I like the new mechanic because I'm now a referee and can look directly at the holder / kicker with a perfect view. I'll deal with what I'm told though. It's not THAT big of a deal.
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
RonRef, we discussed this for a good half hour. The consensus was that it could lead to quite a bit of confusion so they felt since we had good coverage in the past to hold off on this for now. Most felt it could turn into a firedrill if wings got confused as to whether the kicker was left or right footed, which changes depending on which way the team was going, etc. I said that's a question I asked of the coaches in my pre-game and could be easily mitigated.

Please by all means let us know how it works for you and whether you think you have better coverage once you're doing it.

Honestly, I like the new mechanic because I'm now a referee and can look directly at the holder / kicker with a perfect view. I'll deal with what I'm told though. It's not THAT big of a deal.
We really had no problems with it last Friday,as the referee on our crew I took it upon myself to communicate to wing official that should be under the goalpost. We can hold off a bit on blowing the ready for play until we are ready. We even had one left footed and one right footed kicker.
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Our state association has also chosen not to adopt this mechanic.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

I believe this mechanic started in Ohio a few years ago. My crew, where I was R, was using it soon after it was discussed in Referee Magazine. As soon as I knew they were lining up in a scrimmage kick formation I would see which way the holder was facing and then tell that wing to cover the goal post. This made sure that the right one went on coverage. We never had any problem with coverage and always got ourselves in position in plenty of time. It was confusing to the R and other wing on my crew this past weekend but I think after a couple of kicks we were getting the hang of it.
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

We have used this mechanic on my crew for the past 3 years now. We have only had 1 issue with coverage and confussion. The head coach told us his kicker was right, but he really kicked wiht his left. We usually take the field earlier enough to see the kickers and punters, but I still double check anyways.

We feel that it gives us the best coverage of the field and the play. HAd 1 situation where an errant snap cause the play to become a run to my side of the field. I began on the numbers, and as the play began stepped towards the GL. As the run began, I backed up and my sideline skills kicked in. Moved to the GL and worked back. The play came right to my corner and he was short. The coach of the kicking team said there was no doubt he was not in. You were right there.

I personally like it. We have a signal where I look at the wing and point. They then begin to move over to the uprights.
Old Sat Sep 02, 2006, 12:40am
Do not give a damn!!

In Illinois we have used this mechanic for the last 3 or 4 years. It has worked well here.

Peace
Old Sat Sep 02, 2006, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

LJudge, Our state (PA) association choose not to adopt this mechanic, however our R asked us as a crew if we could do this for our benefit. Well we did it for 2 games yesterday and it went fine. The key was the R would always make eye contact so we knew which wing would go under. It wasnt brain surgery by any means, it went well every time.
Old Sun Sep 03, 2006, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Minnesota uses the proposed mechanic that has not been adopted yet.
back judge and umpire under the goal posts with the linesman and line
judge on the line, with the referee facing the holder.

Minnesota also has the umpire opposite the referee on K's side of the
ball on punt coverages.

just a fyi
Old Sun Sep 03, 2006, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

My crew has used it for 3 years. I tell them to watch my a** (I am the R). Whoever has my a** facing them goes under. We had a play the other day where there was a bad snap and the kicker caught the ball and ran my way. I was able to stay out of his way and get to the goal line to signal that the try was good. No problem. I also signal to the wings if I hear that they are going to line up to kick. That gets them to the right spots on time.