The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

New Back Judge

Hey everybody,
I recognize some of the names from the basketball and baseball sides. I'm working my first football game tonight (a "soap scrimmage") at a local high school. I'm in the process of studying up on my resposibilities as back judge. I'm working with a good, experienced crew just to get me going. If you have any advice that would make my nervous cramming a little more productive this afternoon, I'd really apprciate it. Thanks.

Last edited by Junker; Fri Aug 25, 2006 at 10:00am.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Check out my site. I updated a PPT this morning for the new 5 man keys. I think it is the second file under PPT files.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 10:13am
Do not give a damn!!

1. Start 15-20 yards behind the LOS or deepest than the deepest defender. This also may modify if you are inside the 15 and the goal line is threatened, but use this mechanic as a starting point.

2. Your first steps should always be backwards (anywhere in the middle of the field).

3. Do not get beat deep.

4. You have the inside receivers as your "key." Usually the Tackles will tell you exactly what the play is going to be.

5. Do not call a TD when the ball is near the sideline without some help or signal from your partner on the wing.

6. You might not make a lot of calls, but your calls are some of the biggest calls in the game.

7. Stay focused.

8. You should be at the goal line before the runner gets there.

9. You are mostly responsible for the 25 second count. Do not nit-pick the count. Be as deliberate as possible.

10. You count the 45 second clock during timeouts.

These are not in order, just some nuggets to think about when you work the BJ position. I am also assuming you are talking about 5 man mechanics. Things might change if you work 7.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

The list is pretty good, here are some things I'd add:

-- you are in the best position to come in and "clean up" the play, making sure there is no late hits or shut down any chicken fights

-- on an out of bounds play between the 20s, get over to the sideline, doing the above, and supervising the ball exchange

-- when you see a wing marking a forward spot who also threw a flag, get to the spot as quickly as possible to back him up; the R may not be aware a flag has been thrown or is dealing with other issues

-- talk to the punt returners, telling them to give you a clear fair catch signal
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks everybody. Another thing I'll have to work in is not giggling when Rut mentions the "bj position". I can't help it, I'm immature at times.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
4. You have the inside receivers as your "key."
This might be a true statement if your state uses its own mechanics manual, but please note the following if it uses NFHS mechanics:

NFHS 2006-2007 Officials Manual, Pages 54 and 55
Keys and Priority of Keys
III. Balanced Formation: When there are the same number of eligible receivers outside the offensive tackles on each side of the formation, then the back judge will key on the widest eligible receiver to the line judge's side of the formation.
IV. Unbalanced Formation: The strength of the formation is determined by the number of eligible receivers outside of the offensive tackles. The back judge takes the widest eligible/s to the strength of the formation.

(Emphasis Added)
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37
This might be a true statement if your state uses its own mechanics manual, but please note the following if it uses NFHS mechanics:

III. Balanced Formation: When there are the same number of eligible receivers outside the offensive tackles on each side of the formation, then the back judge will key on the widest eligible receiver to the line judge's side of the formation.
IV. Unbalanced Formation: The strength of the formation is determined by the number of eligible receivers outside of the offensive tackles. The back judge takes the widest eligible/s to the strength of the formation.

(Emphasis Added)
This is a mechanics change this year. As BJ, I'm going to be making sure I'm communicating with the wings on every play so they know if I'm taking the outside guy on their side. They may have no idea.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 01:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

(Emphasis Added)
That sounds wonderful, but do you look at the diagrams on the next couple of pages?

The diagrams show the BJ in most cases are taking the inside guy almost on every formation. Also I do not go directly by the NF book, because there are many other known contradictions or changes (that were made public) that are still in the book.

Also keys will change from crew to crew. All you are looking at the key is so you can determine run or pass. After the play, you have to go to other responsibilities.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Hey everybody,
I recognize some of the names from the basketball and baseball sides.
That will give you a leg up on those who are new to this forum. You are already aware of those who give quality information and those who do not.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
That sounds wonderful, but do you look at the diagrams on the next couple of pages?

The diagrams show the BJ in most cases are taking the inside guy almost on every formation.
Yes, I did look at the diagrams. Apparently much closer than you did.
In diagram #1, the BJ has the widest receiveron the LJ side. (one for widest)
In diagram #2, there are two receivers one right behind the other on the L side. The BJ has the one in front and the L has the one behind. The wording beside the diagram says "BACK JUDGE has the widest receiver on the LINESMAN'S side.", so they must consider the front receiver wider than the back receiver. (To be fair, I will call this a tie)
In diagram #3, the BJ has the widest receiver on the LJ side. (two for widest)
In diagram #4, the BJ has the widest receiver on the L side. (three for widest)
In diagram #5, the BJ has the widest two receivers on the LJ side. (four for widest)
In diagram #6, the BJ has the inside receiver on the LJ side, but the wording by the diagram says "the BACK JUDGE has the widest receiver on the LINE JUDGE'S side." It is pretty obvious they neglected to change the diagram, but still the diagram shows the BJ with the inside receiver. (one for inside)
In diagram #7, the BJ has the widest receiver on the L side then switches to the widest receiver on the LJ side. (five for widest)
In diagram #8, the BJ has the widest receiver on the L side. (six for widest)
In diagram #9, the BJ has the widest receiver on the LJ side. (seven for widest)

In summary, the diagrams show the BJ with the widest receiver seven times and with the inside receiver one time, with one tie. In addition, the wording beside the diagrams give the BJ responsibility for the widest receiver every time.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks again for the help. I'm heading home to review some stuff, eat a snack and head to the game. I'm sure I'll be around chatting more as the season wears on.
Old Sat Aug 26, 2006, 01:42am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Yes, I did look at the diagrams. Apparently much closer than you did.
Blue, you are right on many levels. Then when you read deep in the coverage of responsibilities (on the passing game and running game listed in the NF book) then they say you have the TE. Now most formations that I see the TE is the inside receiver. Also the BJ has most of the inside pass plays which the slot receivers and TE tend to hang out. So there are some contradictions and inconsistencies (not just with this issue) in the NF Official's Manual.

Also you should always discuss this in pre-game so you will be on the same page because what comes out of the NF mechanics is not always clear or consistent in what they want you to do.

For the record our state wants us to cover the inside receiver.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 27, 2006, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the help. I got through Friday night pretty well. I was working with a crew that gets playoff games yearly and that helped tremendously. I did get beat deep once, I was on the play and went into basketball fast break mode and slowed to take an angle, then I remembered that tactic won't work well on a football field so I hauled buns and got there just a little late, but I did get a decent spot on the tackle, at least I think I did. Lesson learned. The other thing I have to work on is giving up the ball. I follow the ball way too much. Following the ball got better as the game went on, but it'll just take some experience.
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
The other thing I have to work on is giving up the ball. I follow the ball way too much. Following the ball got better as the game went on, but it'll just take some experience.
One of the more difficult things new officials have to overcome. I guess this comes from years of watching football as a "fan". You really have to train yourself in this aspect. You've jumped the first hurdle in realizing that you were doing it.

Good luck the rest of the way.
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. I did a better job of giving up the ball as the game went on. I'm not sure why I had such a tough time with it. I work 3 man mechanics in basketball all the time so I know how to watch an area. I think you are right on that I'm still looking at it like a fan.