The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

I am moving from a wing position to the back judge on our 5 man crew. I was wondering if anyone knew of a place where I could get "deep official" literature or video to help me prepare for the new position. All replies greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnade86
I am moving from a wing position to the back judge on our 5 man crew. I was wondering if anyone knew of a place where I could get "deep official" literature or video to help me prepare for the new position. All replies greatly appreciated!
Thanks
I have a couple of PowerPoint's that may be helpful. You can get them on the resources site the grantsrc created. It is at http://home.comcast.net/~minnmo/football.htm
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

I remember a while back someone posted a game card for the back judge.

I thought it was funny, and if anyone has it, drop me a line at jules18(at)gmail(dot)com
Old Wed Aug 10, 2005, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
And if someone does have the file ref18 is looking for, please email it to me and I will get it up on my officials resource page.
Thanks-
Old Wed Aug 10, 2005, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

The Kentucky High School Athletics Assoc website has an Officials Information page and buried in the Football Officials subpage is an excellent mechanics manual called "First and 10". For us in KY, it is our Bible.

Especially for the BJ, it is great. Keys, reading the offense, etc.

The only question would be if your state wants you to use the same mechanics. Good reading anyway.

The website is khsaa.org.
Old Thu Aug 11, 2005, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

The nfhs.org website has some good powerpoint presentations. Look for the Keys for 5-Man Officiating PowerPoint 2004-05 at this link.

http://www.nfhs.org/scriptcontent/va...content_id=360

Unless your local association has a different set of mechanics, here are my pointers as a BJ.

Never get beat to the goal.
Never let anyone get behind you.
Except for scrimmage and free kicks, NEVER go outside of the hashmarks. I hate when I watch video and I see a BJ running down the sideline because he was caught out of position.
Start 18-20 away from the LOS. You first move is always backwards. Always line up behind the deepest man in the defensive formation. I try to stay a good 5 yards behind the deepest guy. If he lines up 25 yards, you line up 30 yards behind the LOS.
Try to stay about 7 yards away from the play. This allows you to have a better view of the entire play.
Remember, you are the referee for the Defense. Take charge back there.

[Edited by bjudge on Aug 11th, 2005 at 02:37 AM]
Old Thu Aug 11, 2005, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bjudge

Except for scrimmage and free kicks, NEVER go outside of the hashmarks.
What about run support. Do you backup your wings on the sidelines? What about when a runner goes out of bounds on the opponents side, are you there to assist? I can understand what you mean on pass plays, but to say "never go outside the hashmarks", is incorrect.
Old Thu Aug 11, 2005, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Patton
Quote:
Originally posted by bjudge

Except for scrimmage and free kicks, NEVER go outside of the hashmarks.
What about run support. Do you backup your wings on the sidelines? What about when a runner goes out of bounds on the opponents side, are you there to assist? I can understand what you mean on pass plays, but to say "never go outside the hashmarks", is incorrect.
Good points and a clarification is probably in order. That statement was meant to to be during the play. BJ's are there to assist with clean up, covering other officials flags, relaying the ball, informing coaches of fouls and etc after the play is over. If you have good wingman, BJ's have no business outside those hashmarks during the play. If you get caught outside those hashmarks, then you essentially have two wingman tripping over each other and no one is covering the middle of the field. Also, from the video I have seen, if you have a BJ caught outside those hashmarks, he is usually unable to cover the goal line which is his primary responsiblity.
Old Thu Aug 11, 2005, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the great replies keep em coming!