The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 06:23am
Official Forum Member

Face shield

An issue happen at youth Pop Warner Jamboree this past weekend, when a player was observed with eye contacts of a very strange nature. They were all white with a black X on them. When you looked at the players eyes you could not see his pupils. His eyes are all wihte with Black X's in the middle.

The sideline official made the player remove the contacts for safety reasons. He stated if the player is injured, the official or attending EMT would not be able to look into the players eyes.

The parents of this player were very irate about their son having to remove the contacts. They demand to know what rule this falls under. They feel the child (12) Pop Warner player is being signaled out. Their son is needs contacts to help him see and without these contact he can not play.

The town director dosn't know how to handle this the coachs and team mates enjoy it. They call him crazy eyes.

This is crazy do we now police such things. Should a doctors note permitting be required? Is this taunting?

The season is about to start this coming weekend, and the football commissioner is trying to make a logical decision

Any feed back?
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

The only thing we as officials are to discuss is the facemask attachment, visors. They must be 100% clear, had this problem at a college scrimmage last weekend, they were the smoke color.

There was even a topic came up on another board about tinted goggles, they are legal. I disagree, but my state person said, YES. I would imagine that the contacts are legal and if you have a game soon, this should be added to your local rules. Please give a copy to the officials. Our rules only govern high school but we trickle them down to the lower levels with special rules from the league.

My question, why does the player need these contacts with an X on them?

I think it is a local thing to manage and allow the officials to assist if needed. Again, we only police the attachment to the face mask.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

These contacts are legal. However, you might impress upon the parents that their child's safety is at stake because, like you said, if he suffers a blow to his head, safety personnel need to have an ability to evaluate his eyes. His parents have put his personal appearance ahead of his safety in a big way.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

I have enough trouble enforcing the rules that are in the book. I'm always amazed to hear of officials adding extra rules on their own and buying trouble for themselves. The contacts are legal so let them go. Sunglasses are legal so let them go. Tinted face shields are illegal so don't allow them. It's that simple!
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Agreed. There is no rule in the rule book against such contacts.

I might mention to the coach that if that player gets hurt, it would be hard for the EMTs or trainers to accurately assess the player. Don't say it to the parents- they will take it out of context or not understand what you're saying. Now that I think about it, the coach probably will too.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Lets see. A 8-12 year old wearing contacts with an X on them so he gets more attention. Other kids call him crazy eyes. Unfortunately his parents are the biggest problem in allowing him to have them. I bet he and his parents will be a blessing to work with for all that come into contact with them until they don't feel the world is "singling them out." They probably paid more for the "special" contacts. Get some stinking normal ones and help you kid not be judged (maybe unfairly), when he is 12 years old.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

I'm surprised by the responses. I'm an umpire. The rule states, "Illegal equipment. No player shall participate while wearing illegal equipment. This applies to any equipment, which in the opinion of the umpire is dangerous, confusing or inappropriate." If I decide it's illegal, it's illegal. Granted, that authority carries a responsibility. But I don't think this is unreasonable at all.

Sunglasses can be removed and you can look into a player's eyes. Contact lenses are an entirely different matter. While there's no specific coverage for this, the U can certainly declare them dangerous to the player's health if he so deems it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
If I ruled these contacts illegal I'd be pretty sure that my R would be giving me a good chewing out when he got the chance. I'm sure the EMTs are quite proficient at removing contact lenses is necessary. If I have a doubt that a player is okay and I can't make a full determination because of the contact lenses I'm going to err on the side of caution and remove him from the game. When a doctor evaluates him and tells me he's okay to return he can play again.
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Unless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
I'm surprised by the responses. I'm an umpire. The rule states, "Illegal equipment. No player shall participate while wearing illegal equipment. This applies to any equipment, which in the opinion of the umpire is dangerous, confusing or inappropriate." If I decide it's illegal, it's illegal. Granted, that authority carries a responsibility. But I don't think this is unreasonable at all.

Sunglasses can be removed and you can look into a player's eyes. Contact lenses are an entirely different matter. While there's no specific coverage for this, the U can certainly declare them dangerous to the player's health if he so deems it.
No question you have this right up until (in FED) your state authority makes a determination. In FL, the state has spoken: Any goggles, sun glasses, contacts are LEGAL equipment. I guess that any legal liability would be up to a jury but at least in FL there is a defense with the ruling.