The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Question Official Towel Usage

This is mainly for the Umpires out there but others may also carry towels can reply.

I was just wondering how big most people's towels are that they use for drying the football during the season. I've seen rediculously large full-size bath towels used as well as little washcloths; I personally use a hotel-size towel folded in thirds, it hangs about 16" (I know I left it open but don't ). Do other crews have anything different as far as keeping footballs dry on the field?
Also Does everyone in yalls' crew carry a towel, and what size, do yall' keep any extra on the sidelines, etc.

"Don't Forget to bring a towel"
-Towlie
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I found some hand towels (approx 16 x 28) at Wal Mart last year for about 2 or 3 bucks each. I bought 6 of them and would supply the crew on wet days. I'll add a couple of new ones this year to replace the couple that disappeared when a couple of crew members were replaced...ummm, I mean, decided not to come back.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

As my screen name indicates I am a U. I am going into my third year, and my crew will work 3 varsity games this year. I have never figured out why the U needs a towel on a hot and dry night. I really don't understand why they are needed in AFL and AF2 games. Any body have any thoughts on this.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

On dry nights here in Florida. The humidity will suck the sweat out of the running backs. The ball after two or three runs can be a very slippery with pig snot. The ball needs to be toweled in this situation moreso that when a constant rain is present.

Cbrockett
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

I've found that a towel may still need to be used when its not raining. like it was said for the sweating players (and yourself) in bad humidity and there seems to be a lot of dew on the ground after the sun goes down.
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

I've never seen anybody use a towel in an AFL or AF2 game. I've been to a lot of them.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

It varies on the weather. On a normal fall evening, I might have a small thin towel folded to about 3 or 4 inches wide and 10 inches long showing. If it's very wet, I'll have a larger towel (not a bath towel) foled over a few times. If it's really raining, I'll have a couple of spares in a bag and change them at the end of each quarter.
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

I was a U for 32 years in CNY and never brought my own towel
to games, they were provided when needed by the home team.
Down here in SW FL I found out they "require" the U to bring a
towel. I usually pack a couple in the car and tuck one hand-sized
towel into my belt. When it is raining, I usually carry it in my hand
allowing me to put it over the ball during time outs etc. and to let
the center wipe his hands. There are plenty of places to buy cheap
towels, but I don't see why the home team can't provide them.
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

I learned to bring my own towel early on. I asked the school for a towel on when it started to rain and the best they could come up with is a piece of plaid cloth that used to be someone's shirt. After working a game with the plaid "towel" tucked in my pants, I started bringing my own.
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

thanks all for those good ideas; I like the idea of having a dry towel at the ready for changing every quarter. Luckily I used to work at a hotel with a small waterpark and was able to get a few "cough" dozen, perfectly sized towels. Right now I am the only one on the crew with a towel in any situation,
does anybody's wings have a towel on mudbath nights and how has that worked?
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

As a wing, I don't carry a towel even on rainy nights. The ball boy will either provide a fresh ball or I'll relay the ball in and let the umpire deal with it. He can get the spot from me and, while we are all doing our between-play chores, the U can wipe the ball and spot it.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

...and if the ball boy is "toweling" balls not in play, make sure he does not wrap them too tightly in the towel, so that he (or she) can easily get you one between plays.
Old Sat Jul 01, 2006, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

I've been working for many year and usually carry a handtowel. For number of years ago I switched from a white to black towel just because it stays looking good thru out the game, no filthy looking white towel stained with mud.

Last edited by Niner; Sat Jul 01, 2006 at 04:24pm.
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy
I was a U for 32 years in CNY and never brought my own towel
to games, they were provided when needed by the home team.
Here in WI, I only use a towel during rainy games. By FB Season, most of our humidity has diminished to where the ball boy can wipe the ball off during swaps. I have yet to bring my own towel, I just ask the home coach during prelim meeting, or the home AD prior to inspection, on a night I expect to need towels and ask to have a number of dry ones on the home field sidelines. Sometimes they give me bath size towels fit for the sleek body of an umpire.... most times they are smaller hand towels.

I prefer the smaller hand towels, kept tucked in front, and left long enough that if I have to cover the ball between plays, my belly and the towel will keep it toasty and dry.
Old Sun Jul 09, 2006, 01:29pm
tpaul

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
I found some hand towels (approx 16 x 28) at Wal Mart last year for about 2 or 3 bucks each. I bought 6 of them and would supply the crew on wet days. I'll add a couple of new ones this year to replace the couple that disappeared when a couple of crew members were replaced...ummm, I mean, decided not to come back.
Oh, I didn't know you wanted the towels back!!!???!!!