The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 09:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lacrosse question?--Off Topic

Since no one goes to the Lacrosse board and I think my question will not go answered I have a question for those that either work Lacrosse or experience the sport as a fan with their kids or go to games.

Why does Girl's Lacrosse the girls wear only eye shields and the Boy's wear helmets?

Peace
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

One of the reasons is because of the difference in rules. In girl's lacrosse you cannot reach across the body in the area of the head with the cross. It's one of the "dangerous play" rules. You also cannot contact the opposing player on any part of the body with the cross, hence no arm, elbow, or shoulder padding.

The only legal contact that can be made using the cross is the "check" on the player in possession of the ball and that contact is limited to roughly the top half of the cross and cannot be from "the opposite side" requiring reaching across or over the head of the opponent. Also, body "checking" is not permitted, as it is also a rule violation.

There is also safety related rules that regulate the path of passes and shots when opposing players are in the path of those shots/passes. No high passes or shots allowed.

It's a very different game than men's lacrosse. Woman's lacrosse is virtually 100% non-contact with significant restrictions on the path of the ball on shots/passes near opponents.
Old Sun Jun 04, 2006, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Since no one goes to the Lacrosse board and I think my question will not go answered....
Try www.lacrosseforums.com. That is the biggest lacrosse referee forum I have found, with several prominent lax officials on the board.