The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 09, 2001, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

I would appreciate if you can clarify the following case:

Case:
In extra periods after team A touchdown, the one-point try attempt is blocked, Team A recovers the kick, which did not cross the neutral zone, and throws a forward pass that is completed in B’s end zone. Two points to team A awarded.

1- According to the NCAA rules any player of Team A may recover and advance the ball in scrimmage kicks that fails to cross the neutral zone by running to a forward point.

· Rule 2-30-4: “A running play is any live-ball action other than that which occurs before player possession is reestablished during a free kick play, a scrimmage kick play or a legal forward pass play”.

· Rule 2-30.4-a: “A running play includes the spot where the run ends and the interval of any subsequent fumble or backward or illegal pass from the time the run ends until possession is gained or regained or the ball is declared dead by rule”.

· Rule 6-3-1-a: “A scrimmage kick that fails to cross the neutral zone continues in play. All players may catch or recover the ball behind the neutral zone and advance it”.

· Approved rule (Interpretation) 6-3-1-II: “Any scrimmage kick may be advanced after catch or recovery by team B, or after catch or recovery by team A in or behind the neutral zone if the kick had not crossed the neutral zone”.

· Approved rule (Interpretation) 8-3-2-III: “On a one-point try attempt, B2 blocks A1’s kick. The ball, which did not cross the neutral zone, is picked up by A2, and he advances the ball across Team B’s goal line. RULING: Award Team A two points”.

· Rule (Extra periods) 3-1-3-e-4: “During the first series of a period. Team A attempts a field goal and the kick is blocked. Team A recovers the kick. Which never was beyond the neutral zone, and runs for a touchdown. RULING: Six points for Team A”.

· Rule (Extra periods) 3-1-3-e-5: “Team A attempts a field goal and the kick is blocked. Team A recovers the kick, which never was beyond the neutral zone, and runs for a first down. RULING: Team A’s ball, first and 10”.

2- No legal forward pass can be made after the ball is intentionally kicked in a scrimmage kick play or in a field goal play.

· Rule 2-30-3: “A scrimmage kick play or field goal play is the interval between the snap and when a scrimmage kick comes into player possession or the ball is declared dead by rule”.

· Rule 2-15-1: “Kicking the ball is intentionally striking the ball with the knee, lower leg or foot”.

· Rule 2-15-1-a: “A legal kick is a punt, drop kick or place kick made according to the rules by a player of team A before a change of team possession. Kicking the ball in any other manner is illegal”.

· Rule 2-15-1-b: “Any free kick or scrimmage kick continues to be a kick until it is caught or recovered by a player or becomes dead”.

· Rule 2-30-1: “A legal forward pass play is the interval between the snap and when a legal forward pass is complete, incomplete or intercepted.

I believe that every detail of the football game is clearly covered in the NCAA rules.
I know that team A can make one pass during each scrimmage play (7-3-1) but it should be in accordance with all other rules involved.
In the play classification section rules (2-30) indicates that there is four different plays.
A legal forward pass play (2-30-1) is the interval between the snap and when a legal forward pass is complete, incomplete or intercepted.
A scrimmage kick play and field goal play (2-30-3) is the interval between the snap and when a scrimmage kick comes into player possession or the ball is declared dead by rule.
There can’t be this both plays with the same snap. Remember that a scrimmage kick play continue to be a kick until it is caught or recovered by a player or becomes dead (2-15-1-b) and if team A passes, then it is not a legal pass play because the snap was used for the scrimmage kick. That is why a scrimmage kick play can be recovered and advanced by running it, according to the running play rule (2-30-4) that says that a running play is any live-ball action other than that which occurs before player possession is reestablished during a free kick play, a scrimmage kick play or a legal forward pass play.
In addition, there is an interpretation on this matter in the approved rules (8-3-2-III), (3-1-3-e-4) and (3-1-3-e-5) in which clearly indicates that team A recovers the ball and advance it to a forward position by running.
In my opinion, this illegal play is as illegal as the following scrimmage play that is the opposite of the one we are talking about:
****Team A begins the play with a snap and the passer goes back and throws a legal forward pass to a receiver who is behind the neutral zone and complete the pass also behind the neutral zone and then he makes a scrimmage kick (a punt, drop kick or placing the ball to try a field goal play)****

I am positive that there is not ambiguity in the wording of the play classification rules 2-30-1,2,3,4.
Let’s see this case under this angle:
Rule 2-15-1 establishes the definition of kicking the ball and legal or illegal kicks and the duration of a kick. I make an emphasis in the action of kicking the ball as a prove that a scrimmage kick is in progress in the case I presented, which meets what rule 2-15-7 says about a scrimmage kick and the requirements for a scrimmage kick play established in rule 2-30-3.
Throwing a pass from behind the neutral zone after a scrimmage kick play has been made can not be considered as a forward pass play because it doesn’t meet the requirements for that kind of play as establish the rule 2-30-1, no matter what the rule 7-3-1,2 says about legal or illegal forward pass because we are not talking about if the pass is legal or illegal but if it is a forward pass play or not.
There is only one snap in each scrimmage play, then only one play could be made that requires an interval between the snap and the action of that play.

This is my personal opinion about this case and along with the interpretation approved rules 8-3-2-III and 3-1-3-e-4,5, I become to the conclusion that in rule 6-3-1-a the only way a team A player can advance the ball after recovering a scrimmage kick behind the neutral zone is by running it.

Jorge Delgado.
Monterrey, Mexico.
[email protected]

Old Mon Jul 09, 2001, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Jorge,
You have been very meticulous in picking this case play apart. If anything, the only thing I beleive is missing is a play classification that we should call "Busted Play".

I really think you have read too much into these play defintions and do not have enough faith in what you have read in the detailed rules section. That being, nothing is said there to prohibit this situation and therefore it is legal.

I'm not going to convince you and I'm not too sure anyone else can except for Mr Adams.
Your best bet to convince youself or to bring about a clarification is to send this play summary to John Adams.
You can find out the details on how to do this on page 10 in the 2001 NCAA Football Rules book.
He will respond, good luck.

Old Tue Jul 10, 2001, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Theisey,

Thanks for your comments. I agree with you that I went too deep in this case but ¿could you explain why the rule makers specifically establish in the interpretation approved rule 8-3-2-III and in rule 3-1-3-e-4, 5, that the form to advance the ball after recovering a blocked extra point or field goal kick attempt is by running?

I’ve already send this case to the NCAA rules makers through Mr.Deitch Scott who is the NCAA staff liaison to the NCAA Football Rules Committee and I’m waiting for the response. I let you know when I receive the answer.

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
Jorge,
You have been very meticulous in picking this case play apart. If anything, the only thing I beleive is missing is a play classification that we should call "Busted Play".

I really think you have read too much into these play defintions and do not have enough faith in what you have read in the detailed rules section. That being, nothing is said there to prohibit this situation and therefore it is legal.

I'm not going to convince you and I'm not too sure anyone else can except for Mr Adams.
Your best bet to convince youself or to bring about a clarification is to send this play summary to John Adams.
You can find out the details on how to do this on page 10 in the 2001 NCAA Football Rules book.
He will respond, good luck.