The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 10:45am
tpaul

HS rules

Guys,
I am looking to put a cable tv show together on football officiating. What I am looking for is some ideas. It is to difficult to just cover a whole rule and be meaningful and entertaining. So, I was thinking of the misconceptions of High School Football rules. Ones you think fans do not understand or always misinterpret. I know we may have done links like this before but I need to see them again.
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

In particular, go for rules that announcers typically screw up, or rules that are notably different from NFL to NCAA to NFHS. I'd go with:
  • "Down by contact" is big lately, tied into "the ground can't cause a fumble".
  • Pass interference (with the bit in the Steelers game, it's a hot topic)
  • For that matter, catch/no catch. This one, in particular, needs lots of film to illustrate your point - although you could also spend a decent amount of time discussing how things change in the end zone, as well as the force-out rule.
  • Touchbacks - this will mostly be about the rule differences, and probably a short segment at that.
  • Forward progress - a simple enough rule, but there will still be people who want to go by location of feet, especially on a sideline play. Not sure there's enough for a whole show here.
  • Penalty spots - I'd guess there are a fair number of people who are confused about when the penalty is assessed from the end of the play as opposed to previous spot or spot of the foul.

I'm curious, how long a show will this be? I'm presuming it'll be on a public access station, which means no (or at least few) commercials. Half an hour actually becomes a fairly long time to fill.

You'll definitely want a bunch of film clips. The rights to any NFL or NCAA game are going to be very tightly controlled - you *might* get permission, but I'm guessing not (although I've never tried) - so hopefully you have or can get ahold of a decently sized library of H.S. tapes.

If the cable thing doesn't work out, you could always produce the segments yourself and publish them as podcasts, which are currently The Next Big Thing.

Good luck!
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 09:24pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roamin' Umpire
In particular, go for rules that announcers typically screw up, or rules that are notably different from NFL to NCAA to NFHS. I'd go with:
  • "Down by contact" is big lately, tied into "the ground can't cause a fumble".
  • Pass interference (with the bit in the Steelers game, it's a hot topic)
  • For that matter, catch/no catch. This one, in particular, needs lots of film to illustrate your point - although you could also spend a decent amount of time discussing how things change in the end zone, as well as the force-out rule.
  • Touchbacks - this will mostly be about the rule differences, and probably a short segment at that.
  • Forward progress - a simple enough rule, but there will still be people who want to go by location of feet, especially on a sideline play. Not sure there's enough for a whole show here.
  • Penalty spots - I'd guess there are a fair number of people who are confused about when the penalty is assessed from the end of the play as opposed to previous spot or spot of the foul.

I'm curious, how long a show will this be? I'm presuming it'll be on a public access station, which means no (or at least few) commercials. Half an hour actually becomes a fairly long time to fill.

You'll definitely want a bunch of film clips. The rights to any NFL or NCAA game are going to be very tightly controlled - you *might* get permission, but I'm guessing not (although I've never tried) - so hopefully you have or can get ahold of a decently sized library of H.S. tapes.

If the cable thing doesn't work out, you could always produce the segments yourself and publish them as podcasts, which are currently The Next Big Thing.

Good luck!
Thanks Roamin' Umpire. You have some great ideas there and I will concerned them all. I have tons of film from HS, NCAA and NFL. Once I get some ideas together then I have to do a story board to lay out. Then write a script. I figure each segment would be about a half hour. Yes, I am working for public access station but hopefully if it works maybe market it to an ESPN or related channel.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 03:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Axtually it might not be that difficult to get permission to use NFL films. They have a youth/H.S. football program within the NFL. I'd try getting this bunch to help out.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 03:48pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S
Axtually it might not be that difficult to get permission to use NFL films. They have a youth/H.S. football program within the NFL. I'd try getting this bunch to help out.

Not a bad idea...thanks
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaul
Guys,
I am looking to put a cable tv show together on football officiating. What I am looking for is some ideas. It is to difficult to just cover a whole rule and be meaningful and entertaining. So, I was thinking of the misconceptions of High School Football rules. Ones you think fans do not understand or always misinterpret. I know we may have done links like this before but I need to see them again.
Is this going to be on ESPN? Or at least a show here in KY, these fans watch too much Sat and Sun games and gripe about calls on Friday nights.
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Tie goes to the runner.

Hands are part of the bat.

(Hey ... any chance to dispel these myths has to be taken, right?)
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 06:02pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Tie goes to the runner.

sorry MC, football only...LOL
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Tie goes to the runner.

Hands are part of the ball.

3-second call during a shot.
Old Fri Apr 07, 2006, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

You could try to get in touch with USA Football. They might help you with getting some video material.

www.usafootball.com
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Is it a foul or a penalty?

Most people outside of our officiating community do not know the diference between a penalty and a foul.

Any penalty (distance) may be refused.

There has to be contact to be pass interference.

It has to be clipping, he hit him in the back. Coach, the call is a 'block in the back' (above the waist) - 10 yds, not a clip.
Alexandria, LA
Louisiana NG
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 10:08pm
tpaul

thanks chiefgil
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

I think maybe you should include informatiuon about just how much time and effort we put into officiating. I really don't think the fans at any level understand the amount of effort we put against being good/better officials. A tribute of sorts to officials might be helpful.
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 03:07pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick KY
I think maybe you should include informatiuon about just how much time and effort we put into officiating. I really don't think the fans at any level understand the amount of effort we put against being good/better officials. A tribute of sorts to officials might be helpful.

Very intersting thought Rich! I do agree with it for most of us but somebody out there will always kill that theory...
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe you should take a more human approach. Think of it as "Spinal Tap" for officials. Focus on use/abuse of Vitamin K & E for supehuman vision. Or maybe explore the common practice of officials picking a team (usually the home team) that they want to win: and, then doing everything possible to screw the other team. And finally, you could do an expose' of the dark side of officiating.....ref groupies (Title it : Women Love a Man in Uniform- Even One Made Out of Polyester).