Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Post NFL eyeing rule changes, officiating

Read story: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I like the bit about how they're thinking about reminding NFL officials to see a foul before they throw a flag. Last I checked, that's just about the first thing one is taught as a new official, and the NFL guys are probably saying that to themselves before every play.

Then again, I suspect professional sports wouldn't be as popular as they are if fans couldn't blame the officials for their teams' poor performances.
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

That's what happens when you have people who know nothing about officiating incharge of officiating.
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The committee also is considering recommending to officials that they make sure there was holding on a play before throwing a flag.

"We want to make sure they actually see the foul," McKay said.
Aw, why would you want to go and do that?

You mean you want me to actually see the foul I call? What do you think I've been doing?

Quote:

One such play occurred in the Super Bowl. Seattle right tackle Sean Locklear was called for holding on a pass completion early in the fourth quarter that would have put the Seahawks at the Pittsburgh 1-yard line, poised to go in for the tying touchdown. After the penalty, Seattle quarterback Matt Hasselbeck threw an interception and the Steelers eventually scored to take a 14-point lead.
I don't know how that illustrates your point, unless you're talking about someone seeing holding when they throw the flag. I saw holding. It was obvious. He hooked the defensive player around the right armpit and shoulder and almost took him down.

"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

I'm still not 100% sold on that holding call. Don't you have to see the initial point of contact? It says alot if the NFL is reviewing these things.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

not necessarily

Holding is one of the few calls that you don't really need to see intial contact.....of course it is always best if you do, but in a holding situation everything can start legal, hands inside the framework, then as the defensive player goes a different direction a hold occurs. It isn't like a block in the back where it starts legal then moves to the back...I think that the NFL reviewing this is just the competition committee (ie coaches) whining. They also want to look at making the defense make an effort to stay away from the QB's legs. As far as I knew this was already in place, and the play they are using to justify it is the Carson Palmer hit. That didn't intentionally go for his legs, he was knocked down, kept trying to pursue and it ended up that way.....
Old Sun Mar 26, 2006, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

The holding call was there, and it was obvious. Watching the play real time, I said outloud, 'holding; I wonder if the R or the U will see it.'

Sure enough, after the play ended, they said flag on the play. I said "they got the holding call," and the R announced it.

Then, they showed the replay from the end zone and John Madden said, "that doesn't look like holding to me" or something. Had they shown the sideline angle, it would have been obvious.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
The holding call was there, and it was obvious. Watching the play real time, I said outloud, 'holding; I wonder if the R or the U will see it.'

Sure enough, after the play ended, they said flag on the play. I said "they got the holding call," and the R announced it.

Then, they showed the replay from the end zone and John Madden said, "that doesn't look like holding to me" or something. Had they shown the sideline angle, it would have been obvious.
I agree that it was holding on that play but i was confused on the illegal block by Hasselbeck during the interception runback.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1784
I agree that it was holding on that play but i was confused on the illegal block by Hasselbeck during the interception runback.
I am pretty sure that the league said that was a bad call.