The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

I know that in H.S. everything happening between players that start in the blocking zone, until the ball leaves the blocking zone is pretty much legal...will someone help me with the college and pro calls on below -the- waist blocking?
It seems when I'm watching college games, I see running backs blocking rushing defenders, by dropping down and taking out their legs. Same in pros. Correct me if I'm wrong but this IS an illegal block in High School, right?

Dormant Ump
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

If they're oughta the box, yes, it's illegal.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Actually, for Federation (most high schools)it has a little to do with "the box." It has more to do with position. In Federation, only blocks lineman against lineman are allowed to be below the waist. And those blocks must occur in the box and before the ball has left the box.

For NCAA, it's a littl more complicated. Blocking below the waist is permitted except:
1. Offensive linemen at the snap positioned more than seven yards from the middle lineman of the offensive formation are prohibited from blocking below the waist toward the original position of the ball in or behind the neutral zone and within 10 yards beyond the neutral zone.
2. Backs at the snap positioned with the frame of their body completely outside the frame of the body of the normal tackle (second player from the snapper) position in either direction toward a sideline, or in motion at the snap, are prohibited from blocking below the waist toward the original position of the ball in or behind the neutral zone and within 10 yards beyond the neutral zone.
3. During a scrimmage down, defensive players are prohibited from blocking an eligible Team A receiver below the waist beyond the neutral zone unless attempting to get at the ball or runner. A Team A receiver remains eligible until a legal forward pass is no longer possible by rule.
4. During a down in which there is a free kick or scrimmage kick from a scrimmage kick formation, all players are prohibited from blocking below the waist, except against the runner.
5. After any change of team possession, all players are prohibited from blocking below the waist, except against the runner.
6. A Team A player behind the neutral zone and in position to receive a backward pass shall not be blocked below the waist or contacted by way of a personal foul.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

You say it has little to do with the "box", then you go on to say "all blocks must occur in the box", hmm, ok.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

You say it has little to do with the "box", then you go on to say "all blocks must occur in the box", hmm, ok.

Bob said that referring to position. For example, under NF rules, if a RB moves up to the LOS and blocks an oncoming defender or a LB cuts any offensive player while the ball is in the zone (and the block occurs in the zone), this is a foul everytime and must be called. The HS athletes, for the most part, are not advanced enough to take on these blocks without being subject to high injury risks and I believe that is why the BBW rule exists under the NF code.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

It has EVERYTHING to do with the box! If they're in the box at the snap then they can BBW if they aren't they can't. Seems pretty simple to me but hey I'm a simple guy!!!
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RefNVa
It has EVERYTHING to do with the box! If they're in the box at the snap then they can BBW if they aren't they can't. Seems pretty simple to me but hey I'm a simple guy!!!
Not really that simple.

For example, A88 goes in motion, and at the snap is off the LOS but in the free-blocking zone, then blocks an on-coming defender, who was in the zone at the snap, below the waist while the ball is still in the zone.

Based on your statement above, you would not throw the flag in this situation. Please check Rule 2-17-2. Only players who line up on the LOS and in the free blocking zone are permitted to and may be involved in a block below the waist. In addition, these players may only block below the waist if the ball has not left the zone.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 06:49pm
tpaul

Quote:
No becvause just being in the box isn't enough. It's only OL vs DL..
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Please cite the NF rule that says only DL/OL may block BTW in the FBZ.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 07:20pm
tpaul

Quote:
Please cite the NF rule that says only DL/OL may block BTW in the FBZ.
2-17-2
ART. 2 . . . Blocking below the waist is permitted in the free-blocking zone when the following conditions are met:

a. All players involved in the blocking are on the line of scrimmage and in the zone at the snap.
b. The contact is in the zone.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

I do not see OL/DL referred to?
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 08:09pm
tpaul

Quote:
I do not see OL/DL referred to?
Now I see why nobody answers your replies...
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Very mature response, go suck your thumb jr.!
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

The free blocking zone is a box 3yards by 4yards. Which in most formations covers the center, guards and tackles. Thus the OL/DL restriction they are talking about. With the restrictins of being on the line at the snap and in the box while the free blocking zone still exists, by rule and formation no back or wide out can block below the waist.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Did not want to incite riot

Thank you Bob M. I was basically looking for differences in NF and College. You enlightened me on that.

J