The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Illegal Blocking (https://forum.officiating.com/football/24328-illegal-blocking.html)

Bob M. Fri Jan 20, 2006 03:07pm

Re: Did not want to incite riot

Quote:

Originally posted by Jaysef
Thank you Bob M. I was basically looking for differences in NF and College. You enlightened me on that.

J

REPLY: Glad I enlightened someone. I thought I'd started World War III

RefNVa Fri Jan 20, 2006 03:10pm

Jsef, the only points I tryied to make were: the box is very important in determing legal BBW and that not only are OL/DL allowed to BBW but also any others that are within the FBZ @ the snap and before the ball leaves. Sorry for the diversion! :"D

Bob M. Fri Jan 20, 2006 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally posted by RefNVa
...and that not only are OL/DL allowed to BBW but also any others that are within the FBZ @ the snap and before the ball leaves. :"D
REPLY: RefNVa...that's just not correct. Take a look at these plays. Here's why I said that the 'box' is probably of secondary importance to the positions of the opponents:

1. Wing back is positioned directly behind the tackle (he's in the box) and charges out to block the DE below the waist. <b>RULING:</b> Illegal block below the waist. A back can <u>never</u> block legally below the waist in or out of the FBZ.

2. LB coming on a blitz after the snap from three yards in his own defensive backfield. Offensive guard (in the box) sees this and cuts him with a block below the waist at A's line of scrimmage. <b>RULING:</b> Illegal block below the waist. Since the LB was not on the line of scrimmage at the snap, this block is illegal -- even though it took place in the FBZ, and even though the blocker was on the line at the snap.

3. On an end-around, while the ball is still in the FBZ, wing back blocks a pursuing lineman (also in the box) below the waist. <b>RULING:</b> Illegal block below the waist. Just like #1, a back can <u>never</u> block legally below the waist in or out of the FBZ.

[Edited by Bob M. on Jan 20th, 2006 at 04:02 PM]

Jaysef Fri Jan 20, 2006 03:25pm

No harm. Differences of opinion can more than likely bring up different ways of thinking about the situation for both sides. I just wanted an explanation as to why I've seen several times in college and pro, a running back freely wiping out a blitzing defender twice his size by going low.

J

Bob M. Fri Jan 20, 2006 04:10pm

REPLY: As a follow-up, here's a case play right from the NFHS website. I hope this helps resolve the question definitively:

*2.17.2 SITUATION D, Page 14: Linebacker B7 is in the free-blocking zone, but off the line of scrimmage. B7 blocks A8 below the waist. RULING: Illegal block. In order for a block below the waist to be legal, <b>both the blocker and the person being blocked must be on the line of scrimmage</b> at the snap and in the free-blocking zone.

tpaul Fri Jan 20, 2006 04:26pm

Quote:

Originally posted by PAUMP
The free blocking zone is a box 3yards by 4yards. Which in most formations covers the center, guards and tackles. Thus the OL/DL restriction they are talking about. With the restrictins of being on the line at the snap and in the box while the free blocking zone still exists, by rule and formation no back or wide out can block below the waist.
thank you some much. What about a TE? I had a coach saying, "if my guys line-up real tight and the TE is really close to the tackle, then he is in the box too."

tpaul Fri Jan 20, 2006 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jaysef
No harm. Differences of opinion can more than likely bring up different ways of thinking about the situation for both sides. I just wanted an explanation as to why I've seen several times in college and pro, a running back freely wiping out a blitzing defender twice his size by going low.

J

Jaysef,
I was just trying to make it simpler to understand for the sake of making it easier and the guy has to bust my b@lls.