The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Yeah Tom, I'll say "no blocks" to trailing players who I'm running along side when the ball carrier is 10-15 yards ahead on his way to the goal line. In my area, our players have been developing a tendency to look for the cheap block. That illegal block on the non-suspecting, out-of-the-play-defenseless player that we always see on kicks and long runs. It also prevents unnecessary blocks in the back. Even at the high school level, as well as these guys are usually coached, they still get caught up in the moment and are just looking for something to block.

By no means am I screaming this directive for everyone to hear. I can honestly say no coach, nor spectator has ever heard, or if they have, ever questioned my actions. Not that it justifies the practice...our organization just thinks it helps prevent "things" just a little bit more.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 02:56am
Official Forum Member

I don't like the idea of yelling "no blocks." You are telling them what to do and its going to get you in trouble.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 09:04am
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Suudy, I'm not sure what the best adjective is for me to use in this situation to differentiate from your adjective of "technically" correct. He's not just technically correct, he's completely correct, and completely within his rights to be furious. In essence, you had an inadvertent whistle, and needed to handle it that way.
Fair enough. He was completely correct. I guess my feeling at the time (and at the time of writing) was that it's not an uncommon process (at least in games I've done) for A to just "touch" the ball dead. You are correct in that we should wait until it is possessed, or at rest.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonTX
This happened last year in a game (7th grade) I had as well, except we didn't blow the whistle since the ball was not dead by rule...
REPLY: Jason...that's one of the 3,412,682 differences between the codes. Unlike NCAA, in Fed rules if a scrimmage kick is at rest beyond the NZ and it is touched by K prior to any touching by B, it is dead by rule.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 04:40pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
I don't like the idea of yelling "no blocks." You are telling them what to do and its going to get you in trouble.
I agree Snake~eyes. You past that line of officiating to coaching...
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 04:41pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
Quote:
Originally posted by JasonTX
This happened last year in a game (7th grade) I had as well, except we didn't blow the whistle since the ball was not dead by rule...
REPLY: Jason...that's one of the 3,412,682 differences between the codes. Unlike NCAA, in Fed rules if a scrimmage kick is at rest beyond the NZ and it is touched by K prior to any touching by B, it is dead by rule.
Yes the key is at rest!
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tpaul
Quote:
I disagree. There should be nothing wrong with using your voice to prevent fouls and reduce the chances for injuries. It is not coaching, it is simply preventative officiating.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 11:27pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by wwcfoa43
Quote:
Quote:
I disagree. There should be nothing wrong with using your voice to prevent fouls and reduce the chances for injuries. It is not coaching, it is simply preventative officiating.
Depending on the level of play I could agree. But at the HS varsity level I feel it would be coaching.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Depending on the level of play I could agree. But at the HS varsity level I feel it would be coaching. [/B]
Interesting view. In the Canadian case book preface we have a quote which I believe some of my northern bretheren have posted here before:

"The official, who, through the influence of his presence, causes players to avoid rule violations, has attained the perfect relationship to the game." T.H. Shouldice 1969.

In addition, a 2002/2003 POE in Canada was "It should be emphasized that player safety is our prime concern and should not be compromised. All other issues become secondary."

So our philosophy is that the ability to prevent fouls and injuries supercedes the "advantage" that one team may gain by us telling them that their impending action may be illegal.