The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
The past couple years I have been the WH on a crew with younger officials doing mainly low classes of football (state goes as high as 6A to A with B and C being 8 man). I have been asked to join a crew of a little more vetern officials and I would be the back judge with a chance of getting a little bit higher levels of ball.

Which direction would you go?

I decided to go with the back judge spot, even tho I love being the WH most. I personally felt I deserve to get some of the higher level games as I am told I am looked at as being in great standing with the association and the fact that it was the 7th week of the season before I got to call a full varsity game this past season. Little bit frustrating there.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

I think you made a good decision, now you are working upperlevel ball and can work at a shot at getting a WH there. Good luck.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Interesting

I can see your frustration on this one. I work WH as well. Personally, I love working WH so much that I would rather do that at a lower level than to move higher at a position that I didn't enjoy as much. With that being said, my state doesn't do CREW assignments. We are ranked from 1 to whatever at each position. And then the games are scheduled with ranking and geographical location being the primary determinate. I'm happy to say that I have elevated myself to the top 20 of Referees in my state. So, I'll generally be working with other top 20 guys and doing pretty good ball. Now top 10 would get me some REALLY good ball. But thats a goal of mine.

However, after giving it some thought, I think you made a good decision there. I mean we all want to do better and better games. And if you can get better games at a different position, then great. As long as it doesn't dampen your enjoyment too much. If you find that Back Judge just isn't any fun for you, then ask to move back.

I've often wondered how things would be to live in a state where we worked as a crew. In some ways it sounds good to have a group of guys who become comfortable working with each other, a cohesive group. But I like the way we do things here also. Because we're not held back as a crew. Each official has the opportunity to move up the ladder as an individual. And we also get to work with a variety of different guys and see more of your friends, instead of working with the same guys week in and week out. Again, sometimes thats good and sometimes thats not good.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Don't the smaller schools deserve
capable officials too ??
just askin'
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SWFLguy
Don't the smaller schools deserve
capable officials too ??
just askin'
Sure they do. And thats why each association needs to make the developement of younger officials a priority. Its certainly a tough subject for sure. I personally don't have a problem doing a couple 1A games during the course of the year with a group of new officials. However, I wouldn't wanna do it all year. The answer is to spread the wealth. Indentify a group of veteran guys at different positions to work with the newer official at lower level games. But don't make them do it ALL YEAR. Let everyone take a turn. And sometimes its cool to take a younger official who has tremendous potential and insert him with a group of veterans on a big game. With some guys, their true talent doesn't come through until you see them in a tense game. Working a 1A game of Podunk High versus Boondocks High sometimes doesn't give you very much to go by.