3rd and 7 from A's 40. A86 is running a deep sideline pass
route where he, under his own power, steps on the sideline
at A's 43 and continues downfield where he catches a pass
inbounds and is tackled at B's 40.

What penalty do you assess A with? Illegal participation
or offensive pass interference?

I've heard it both ways from the guys in my chapter. I think
they are both too drastic (15 yds), but at least the
participation foul doesn't carry the loss of down.

Old Wed May 30, 2001, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeke5
Play: (Federation)
3rd and 7 from A's 40. A86 is running a deep sideline pass
route where he, under his own power, steps on the sideline
at A's 43 and continues downfield where he catches a pass
inbounds and is tackled at B's 40.

What penalty do you assess A with? Illegal participation
or offensive pass interference?

I've heard it both ways from the guys in my chapter. I think
they are both too drastic (15 yds), but at least the
participation foul doesn't carry the loss of down.

I don't think this is OPI because a player who starts a down as an elible remains eligible during the entire down (even if he goes OOB.) This should be an illegal participation foul from my understanding of the eligability rules and from the basic principles.
Old Wed May 30, 2001, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,
I agree with you Mike on the eligibility, but we
were unable to find in the rule book any explicit reference
that covered this play.

Thanks for the response
Old Wed May 30, 2001, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

I'm pretty sure Mike is correct on this one. A player who is eligible at the start of a down is eligible thru-out the down. Also, no player of A or K may go OOB and return during the same down unless he is knocked out and then he must return at his first opportunity. The fact that he went out accidentally is irrelevant. I think I remember a similar play to this in the casebook somewhere with almost the same circumstances and the ruling was illegal participation.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2001, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

OPI Vs illegal participation

The receiver is guilty of illegal participation. It doesn't matter at all that he, quite by accident, stepped on the sideline. Although his action was truly inadvertent, he is guilty of illegal participation and not OPI. He is a legal receiver. Still, he could be guilty of other fouls after (or before, for that matter) the illegal participatory foul had been committed. The rule (NF) is quite clear. If there had been an interception and then the receiver, inadvertently, stepped on the side line, there is no foul as there had been a change of possession. The same is true for a kick. If K punts and K59 accidently steps on the side line BEFORE A CHANGE OF POSSESSION, he has fouled. If there had been a change of possession, he is guilty of nothing as long as he returns to the field at the earliest possible time, and onto the field directly. He cannot run 10 yards out of bounds and then return. If the defense or the receiving team for a kick ACCIDENTLY steps on a side line, there is no foul. Also, after a change of possession, there is no foul for either team if contact is made on the side line (UNINTENTIONALLY), or a player UNINTENTIONALLY goes out of bounds. Illegal participation causes a great deal of consternation and question. Conversely, NO player may INTENTIONALLY go out of bounds AND RETURN. In the above scenarios when illegal participation is a possibility, THERE IS NO FOUL IF THE PLAYER DOES NOT RETURN TO THE PLAYING FIELD (i.e.inbounds). If he stays out of bounds and does not return for the play, he has NOT fouled. It's just a rule that takes a little more to understand. For this particular play, a pass play, the penalty is assessed from the previous spot, 15 yards. There is no loss of down provision here. Conversely, if the receiver were guilty of illegal participation and later (during the same play) committed OPI, the defense would have the option of either the illegal participation or the OPI. The OPI WOULD include a loss of down provision; illegal participation does not. Also, if a receiver, accidently steps on the side line and returns, use judgement if the situation has no effect on the play at hand. For example, don't call IP if the foul occurred entirely away from the action at hand. Be judicious and speak with the receiver and let him know what he did. A flag here will get you a royal butt chewing and is a flag wasted, in my opinion. I welcome commentary. Joe Calderazzo
Old Sat Jun 02, 2001, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

see the case book

There is only one call on this.

See case book play 9.6.1a on page 68
Old Tue Jun 05, 2001, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

GREAT write-up JoeC!! That was loud, clear and thorough.
I've printed it out.

Also, thanks for the case reference Thiesey.

Is anyone having fun yet? I am ...