The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 28, 2007, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Socks (and some on shirts)

I have had a very hard time with socks. Frankly, I haven't found any I even halfway like. 2 years ago I wore Honigs fitted and on occasion the thin nylon tube socks (also from Honigs). I didn't really like either one. The Honigs barely lasted a season (2 pair; worn about 2ce a week each) and the nylon ones were too thin, plus they didn't fit well since they weren't fitted. I also didn't like the fact that the Honigs sat real low on my legs -- i.e. not very much white from ankle to start of the black, plus they were hard to get on.

Last year, I ordered a couple of pair of socks from a local supplier -- officialsports.net here in Texas. Harder to get on than the Honigs and less white. So, I didn't even wear them for one game. Then, I ordered a couple of pair of Twin City socks. On paper they looked good, then they went on my legs well. I thought at first, these were the socks for me. But they wear awful fast. The two pair barely made it to the end of the season -- they're good for about 3/4 a season of once a week wear at most. I ended up wearing more of the nylon non-fitted than I liked, but by the end of the year, I couldn't keep the twin city socks up.

I don't know why I"m having so much trouble with socks. What do you guys like?

Also, has anyone seen the new Honigs ultra tech shirt? Last year, I was told that Honigs would have a new HS/College shirt made of the same material Reebok used for the new NFL shirts -- which I saw and felt. It felt like one of the performance fabric shirts you'd get at a sporting goods store -- i.e. real nice. I'm *guessing* this is the new fabric, but don't know for sure. I'll find out in a few weeks, but was wondering if anyone order them already.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2007, 11:50pm
Chain of Fools

New Honig's shirts

I was at Honig's in Raleigh last week. The new shirts are a HS pattern copy of the NFL shirts. They feel lighter and have a softer "hand" than say your stock Cliff Keen shirt.

I'm more interested to see if they produce a LS cold/bad weather version in the HS stripe. My understanding is the NFL's version is almost like a waterproof "shell"-akin to a windshirt or ski jacket. I could find that highly useful in November in the mountains!
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
I personally love the Twin Cities socks.

As for shirts, I like the Cliff Keen Microfiber shirt. I like it better than Honigs Cotton/Poly blend. I am interested to see that new shirt though.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

I wear the Honig's nylon tube socks. Since we only wear them down here
for varsity games and I only work 2 or 3 a season. I just buy a new pair
and toss them when the season is done.
Old Sat Jun 30, 2007, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy
I wear the Honig's nylon tube socks. Since we only wear them down here
for varsity games and I only work 2 or 3 a season. I just buy a new pair
and toss them when the season is done.
Agreed. Aggie, I think you're speaking of the fitted socks when you say there's very litle white showing. I'm 6'4", wear a size 13, and I buy the Honigs nylon tubes because the white is higher. As for being too thin, Just slip on another pair underneath them.

Grant, I too like the Twin Cities socks but can't find them anymore. Where do you get them? They maybe just what Aggie is looking for as well.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jun 30, 2007, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

I ordered the Twin City socks last year and don't like them. They don't hold up very well.

I actually do wear socks underneath, but also wear the white Under Armour tights. I would just like a thicker pair of socks.
Old Sun Jul 01, 2007, 09:39am
Chain of Fools

Twin City Knitting

http://www.twincityknitting.com/foot...icial_sock.htm

Here's their contact info:
710 First Street East | PO Box 1179 | Conover, NC 28613 | Telephone: 1-828-464-4830

Disclaimer: Twin City Knitting sells through an establish network of sporting goods dealers.

Some other manufacturers-
http://www.trenwaytextiles.com/
http://www.profeet.com/football.htm

Last edited by HLin NC; Sun Jul 01, 2007 at 09:47am.
Old Sun Jul 01, 2007, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
I ordered the Twin City socks last year and don't like them. They don't hold up very well.
Their nylon socks were the best. Didn't care for the cotton socks. As fpor holding up, I buy new socks every year. Rotating 2 or 3 pairs for 25-30 games, never had a problem. But that's just me.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith