The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

OHIO

96 games in six divisions. Thus 480 officials needed in the first round. We have 2,552 football officials. Thus, roughly 21% recieve playoff assignments.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Texas has a 32 team Division I and a 64 team Division II in all classifications from 5A (largest) down to 2A, and has a single division in 1A that I believe has 64 teams. That's public (Texas UIL). There are no bye rounds. I'm not sure about private, since there are private school championships that cross state lines.
Old Sat Nov 05, 2005, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by alabamabluezebra
How many first round games will be played in your state? In Alabama, we have 6 high school classifications with 8 regions in each class. The top 4 teams in each region make the playoffs (32 teams per class or 16 games per class). This means 96 1st round playoff games. Approximately 900 officials are needed to work the first round. I'm sure this pales to Texas and California to name a couple.
One of us has our math wrong...unless you work ten man crews in Alabama.
Old Sat Nov 05, 2005, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by parepat
Quote:
How many first round games will be played in your state? In Alabama, we have 6 high school classifications with 8 regions in each class. The top 4 teams in each region make the playoffs (32 teams per class or 16 games per class). This means 96 1st round playoff games. Approximately 900 officials are needed to work the first round. I'm sure this pales to Texas and California to name a couple.
We use that funny math down here! But I think he's calculations included 5 on the field + ECO + 3 man chain crew + 25 Sec Clock where available. So that is a 9+ member crew counting everyone.

And yes we use local officials on the chains for every playoff game. They are used as alternates if someone goes down.
Old Sat Nov 05, 2005, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by irefky
who do you have?

[Edited by irefky on Nov 4th, 2005 at 09:58 AM]
Frankfort-2/Campbellsville-3. The setting presented an odd situation. The field is right in the middle of a subdivision where several people were perched of roofs/scaffolds to watch the game. Some had consumed a few adult beverages. They were really getting after the opposing players. Some of the players got rattled and started barking back and making gestures. There were some racial slures made and one player even accused one of the officials of making one.

It was a good game but I think the visiting team let it get to them and it eventually got the best of them. Since the problem(s) were coming from outside the stadium fence, it was obviously out of our control and pretty much out of the game admin's control. There was never a safety concern or we may have had to do something. However, we weren't getting in the middle of a name calling match. There were too many officers there to handle that and it didn't seem to be a problem with them. We were just concerned with handling the players and trying to keep them in the game and without too many UC's for language and gestures.

Has anybody ever run into a situation like this? If so, how did you handle it? It may be worth reporting to the state assoc and copying the school.
Old Sun Nov 06, 2005, 01:38am
Chain of Fools

Playoff selection

NC: We are not on crew system. Playoff officials must be either Class 1 or 2 based on point system of test score, meeting attendance, and game experience. Also you can not have taken the "emergency exam".

In my association the eligible officials are selected from the list by the booking agent with input from a review committee.
The crew selected to do a state final game will get a semi-final game together to familiarize themselves.

Each association is given an expectation from the state office on how many games in each round the association can expect to receive.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally posted by Warrenkicker
Quote:
Originally posted by grantsrc
We have 6 classes including a separate 8 man class.
But don't you only have about 20 teams playing 8-man? I thought I had read that 8-man never caught on over there like it did in Kansas. We have two divisions of 8-man with over 90 teams total. In many places in the more rural areas, schools have combined to have enough players even for 8-man. In fact this past season was the last for one school which had won the state championship last year and the year before was runner-up.
It is so hugely popular that there are four whole teams that made the playoffs (tongue firmly in cheek). Should be interesting to see what happens here. I am fairly confident that I know the 6A and 5A champs, should be interesting from there down. Playoffs start in two days!
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Playoffs for NM

6 Divisions
Six Man 8 teams in play offs started 10/28
1A 8 Teams started 11/5
2A 8 Teams started 11/5
3A,4A,5A start next week

so with 6 man finals, 1and 2 A semis, and first round of big schools 29 games this weekend 145 officials and I think we have ~200 in the state
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gman34
Quote:
who do you have?

[Edited by irefky on Nov 4th, 2005 at 09:58 AM]
Frankfort-2/Campbellsville-3. The setting presented an odd situation. The field is right in the middle of a subdivision where several people were perched of roofs/scaffolds to watch the game. Some had consumed a few adult beverages. They were really getting after the opposing players. Some of the players got rattled and started barking back and making gestures. There were some racial slures made and one player even accused one of the officials of making one.

It was a good game but I think the visiting team let it get to them and it eventually got the best of them. Since the problem(s) were coming from outside the stadium fence, it was obviously out of our control and pretty much out of the game admin's control. There was never a safety concern or we may have had to do something. However, we weren't getting in the middle of a name calling match. There were too many officers there to handle that and it didn't seem to be a problem with them. We were just concerned with handling the players and trying to keep them in the game and without too many UC's for language and gestures.

Has anybody ever run into a situation like this? If so, how did you handle it? It may be worth reporting to the state assoc and copying the school.

This is like being at Wrigley Field with the fans on top of the roofs. Terrible thing to have with fans and such, nothing you can do about this. Maybe stop the game and have the police who are at the game site monitor the behavior and if it escalates, call outside police to stop the behavior outside. I probably would have done something like that if fans were using racial slurs toward the players.

So what was the crew member accused of?
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]This is like being at Wrigley Field with the fans on top of the roofs. Terrible thing to have with fans and such, nothing you can do about this. Maybe stop the game and have the police who are at the game site monitor the behavior and if it escalates, call outside police to stop the behavior outside. I probably would have done something like that if fans were using racial slurs toward the players.

So what was the crew member accused of? [/B][/QUOTE]

He was accused of calling a black player either a jungle or porch monkey. Don't recall that I've ever heard that before. I believe that may have been a statement from the fans that the kid thought would be good to blame on the official.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by parepat
Quote:
We provide 5 man crew, up to 2 clock men, and three chain crew members. So yes, 9 or 10 man crews!
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Warrenkicker
Quote:
We have 6 classes including a separate 8 man class.
But don't you only have about 20 teams playing 8-man? I thought I had read that 8-man never caught on over there like it did in Kansas. We have two divisions of 8-man with over 90 teams total. In many places in the more rural areas, schools have combined to have enough players even for 8-man. In fact this past season was the last for one school which had won the state championship last year and the year before was runner-up.
It is so hugely popular that there are four whole teams that made the playoffs (tongue firmly in cheek). Should be interesting to see what happens here. I am fairly confident that I know the 6A and 5A champs, should be interesting from there down. Playoffs start in two days!
So how many 8-man teams are there in Missouri? It is a different game to call so I would guess they would get officials who have worked 8-man for the playoff games. There probably aren't that many crews who are working the games.
Old Thu Nov 10, 2005, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In KY

4 classes, 16 games each, total 64

320 officials for first week

5 weeks, championship games to be played at Louisville's Papa John's Stadium

Level 1 officials, 197
Level 2, 213
Level 3, 493

total, 903

Level 1 is the beginning official, level 2 and 3 are only elgible for play offs.

Old Thu Nov 10, 2005, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Level 1 is not supposed to be eligble but there are some working in round 2 that are level one