The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

In reading this post it is obvious that the error was on the part of the officiating crew. However, I do believe you could make a case for the defense attempting to disconcert the offense and their snap count. It isn't unconceivable that a QB, upon hearing the defense call for timeout, would think that its being granted and then step away from the center or cease calling signals while waiting for the whistle. If that was the case, would that not constitute an unfair advantage to the defense? In this case I believe we would have an unsportsmanlike conduct call.

I'll hang up and listen...*smile*
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 01:07pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by don't move
Funny, I had this happen in a varsity game just this past Friday night: Score is tied 28-28 with 15 seconds left in the game. Neither team has any timeouts left. 1st and 10 on B's 30. A spikes the ball, I kill the clock, signal to HL that it will be 2nd down, down holder is having problems with the box which HL is tending to, I look up and see the head coach of team A (HL's side) and a water girl headed to the middle of the field! No one called time out, there were none to give, apparently the coach thought spiking the ball gave him a time out. I immediately ran him back, told him there was no time out, he was fine with that, but team B's coach was livid. I did not throw a flag. B's coach was mad at my LJ for not flagging the coach all the way across the field, for being out there, and of course mad at me. I explained to B's coach that it was our fault that A's coach was coming out on the field, that he gained no advantage since he never really got to the huddle, (although he was at about the hash marks) and that I was going to let the kids decide who wins the game and not let the outcome be affected by our mistake. B's coach wasn't happy. (Team B won in 1st overtime). How would you guys have handled it?
I think you handled it fine...
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 01:13pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by dumbref
B has no time outs, A is in a hurry-up just before the half with the clock running. We go through our normal process of spotting the ball making sure the down marker is in place and all officials are ready. Give the ready and A is in position to snap the ball. B starts calling for a time out! I yell - you don't have any! About 2 seconds later, I hear my LJ blowing his whisle and he is stopping the clock.

When I realized he is honoring the TO, I drop my flag for delay of game on B. We penalized 5 and did not start the clock with the ready. Would anyone have handled it differently - besides shooting the LJ.

And yes we check TO's remaining after each TO - B used their last one in the first QRT and my LJ just had a brain *art.
We had a simular play but A called the TO (which they didn't have any) and the BJ gave them one after a long gain. with time running out. I did the same "delay of game" call that you did. I felt A took a TO when they knew they didn't have any. After reading the rulebook I thought about (Fed 3-6-2: Action or inaction which prevents promptness in putting the ball in play is delay of game. This includes:
(f) Any other conduct which unduly prolongs the game.)

But as mcrowder said there isn't any case play that supports it.