The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 10:09am
I Bleed Crimson

We had an injury Friday night. During the injury time (it was a long one--had to get the ambulance) I told the kids they could come over to their coach. As the kids were running over, our R blew his whistle and told the kids to get back on the field. He said they had to remain huddled on the field, but they trainers could bring water to the huddle.

After the game I brought up that I told the kids they could go to the sideline. He said only during charged timeouts could they go to the sideline.

I'm pretty certain that they can have a conference during any timeout, even an official's timeout. What's the right call on this one?
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

No, they can't have a "conference" during an officials time-out, unless it is a TV or heat/humidity time-out. But there is no restriction on players going anywhere they want on the field during any dead ball period. This would include all players going near the side-line during a prolonged injury time-out. Just be sure the players stay on the field and the coach stays off the field.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

The rule book answer is in 3-5-7. The only time a conference is authorized during an officials time-out is heat/humidity-coach referee conference-intermission between periods and after try, successful field goal or safety and prior to the succeeding free kick.

The answer that is more sensible to me and the one that I apply, especially during a long injury time out, is to get them off the field.

Your White Hat was correct in his application of the rule. I would agree with you that during a long injury time out get them to the sidelines.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Suudy
We had an injury Friday night. During the injury time (it was a long one--had to get the ambulance) I told the kids they could come over to their coach. As the kids were running over, our R blew his whistle and told the kids to get back on the field. He said they had to remain huddled on the field, but they trainers could bring water to the huddle.

After the game I brought up that I told the kids they could go to the sideline. He said only during charged timeouts could they go to the sideline.

I'm pretty certain that they can have a conference during any timeout, even an official's timeout. What's the right call on this one?
I can’t find where it’s prohibited in the rulebook for the team to go to the sideline and have a conference with their coach. Now that doesn't mean it’s not in the book. Just that I can’t find it.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

There is no prohibition on where the players on the field may go during a dead ball period. How many times have you seen the QB go to the sideline to get a play from his coach? This is no different.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Mc
The rule book answer is in 3-5-7. The only time a conference is authorized during an officials time-out is heat/humidity-coach referee conference-intermission between periods and after try, successful field goal or safety and prior to the succeeding free kick.

The answer that is more sensible to me and the one that I apply, especially during a long injury time out, is to get them off the field.

Your White Hat was correct in his application of the rule. I would agree with you that during a long injury time out get them to the sidelines.
Bob, I do not agree. The players can go stand near the sideline and talk to their coach if they want. Its no different than the QB going near the sideline between plays to get the play.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Smiley beat me to it.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

The white hat was wrong.

9-8-1f NOTE: Between downs, communications between players and coaches near the sideline are not an unauthorized conference.