The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Question

NF game:

Do we (as officials) have any jurisdiction over inelligable players?

Situation(s):

1) As we talk to B's coach in pre-game, he informs us that A-32 (their stud) was ejected last week, but noticed him warming up in full pads. What do you do/say?

2) Same game, in the 2nd quarter, A-32 plays, gains 21 yards on a run.

3) A-32 has been ejected from OUR game that we are doing in the 2nd quarter. In the 4th quarter, it is discovered that he has participated in a play. Is this IP or USC on coach?

3A) Same as in A, but A's coach has been flagged for sideline infraction 3 times (warning, 5yd 15 yd USC).

Thanks for the replys.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
i would of asked the coach or AD from team A if he is able to play because of the ejection because you really can't go by what the other coach said. then, i would of made that player take his pads off if i received confirmation that he as ejected. if they tell you he was eligible to play there is nothing you can do about it, team b will have to take it up with the AD. if he plays and you throw him out and then returns to the game it is an USC on the coach.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yankeesfan
i would of asked the coach or AD from team A if he is able to play because of the ejection because you really can't go by what the other coach said. then, i would of made that player take his pads off if i received confirmation that he as ejected. if they tell you he was eligible to play there is nothing you can do about it, team b will have to take it up with the AD. if he plays and you throw him out and then returns to the game it is an USC on the coach.
If he's ejected and returns to play it's an illegal participation on the player (9-6-4e).
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...if he plays and you throw him out and then returns to the game it is an USC on the coach.
REPLY: As schwinn said, it's an illegal participation foul. You would never want this to be USC. Reason: "Stud" returns after ejected and scores game-winning TD. USC would allow the score to stand with penalty from succeeding spot. IP negates the TD.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
in any of these cases if you have a suspected problem the appropriate "authority" should be notified. They can determine if there was a problem that requires their intervention.
Use of an ineligible will normally result in a forfieture around here.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

what about the coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
Quote:
...if he plays and you throw him out and then returns to the game it is an USC on the coach.
REPLY: As schwinn said, it's an illegal participation foul. You would never want this to be USC. Reason: "Stud" returns after ejected and scores game-winning TD. USC would allow the score to stand with penalty from succeeding spot. IP negates the TD.
I agree, but what about the coach? DO you have enough to toss the coach for allowing an illegal player on the field? Can you enforce the IP (15 yds) then tack on an extra 15 for the USC?
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Can you prove the coach knew he went back in? What happens if the kid decides on his own that he's going back in?
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by schwinn
Can you prove the coach knew he went back in? What happens if the kid decides on his own that he's going back in?
Isn't the coach in charge of his team? A kid sprints out there, and all of a sudden, #44 who was sent in with the play ends up on the sideline next to the coach saying"whats up?" or their are 12 on the field....... I do not buy that one!

Do we not ask for varification and hold him responsible for players being legally equiped and the equipment leagal? I know that he does not watch them get dressed, but he sitll verifies that they are.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Re: what about the coach

Quote:
Originally posted by sm_bbcoach
...I agree, but what about the coach? DO you have enough to toss the coach for allowing an illegal player on the field? Can you enforce the IP (15 yds) then tack on an extra 15 for the USC?
REPLY: I think you'd be treading on a pretty slippery slope. The foul and the penalty for it is explicitly spelled out. To assign an additional penalty because it violates our sensibilities is IMHO overstepping our authority. In essence we'd be making up the rule on the spot.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

IT is not our duty to monitor players who might have been ejected the previous week. They have an appeal policy for players who are ejected which might have been used. It is the coaches responsibility to enforce this, not the officials.