The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 07, 2005, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Following a time out, A is ready before B or they are both ready before the full time for the time out has expired. In either case A either comes from the sideline right to their formation or they break the huddle and are over the ball before the RFP. One of their wide outs is postioned outside the nine yard mark, but the defense sees him and has him covered....Is anyone going to flag this?? We had it happen, I originally flagged it...I asked my line judge if he was inside or outside of the numbers he replied that he was inside. The tape told the correct story, but when I thought about it I wondered if it really would have been a good flag anyway?? thoughts, opinions?? I know we will have a few LOL
Old Fri Oct 07, 2005, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
This came up at one of out meetings earlier in the year. We were told, unequivocally, flag it. How often is it being flagged? I don't know. My R doesn't want this flagged.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2005, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

coming out of a TO??

usually I would say flag it, but the coming out of a time out I think I agree with your WH
Old Fri Oct 07, 2005, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

My crew has yet to flag this formation this season as we do everything we can to keep A from lining up out there initially. We have even used some of the NCAA techniques and lined ourselves up at the 9-yard marks until the RFP and kept all A players inside of us and then let them move out with us after the RFP. If B covers them and A has made an attempt to be inside the marks then I have no infraction.

We have heard from some teams we have had this season of them getting multiple touchdowns called back for an illegal formation outside the 9-yard marks. The fouls were only for the player being outside the marks even though he was covered by B. We don't want to make that call and will do everything we can working with A to not have to throw that flag.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2005, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

I've had this several times and I have chased the receiver back inside the numbers until the ready for play. I had an observer from the state office at the first game we had and he complimented me for it. Don't ignore it, don't flag it - fix it.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2005, 11:47pm
tpaul

Guys,
I have been thinking about this too. We have flagged it once because a player came in as a late sub and did not make the 9 yard mark. But I have been watching my wing guys and anytime the RFP is delayed we have guys going outside the 9 yard mark ( kinda like your T.O. play).
Old Sat Oct 08, 2005, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to New AZ Ref
I had this happen tonight, I was standing at the 9 yard marks and told the receiver not to go past me until the RFP was blown and I backed up to the sideline. This worked great, thanks for the tip.
Old Sat Oct 08, 2005, 02:40am
Do not give a damn!!

We discussed that if the defense covers the receivers, then do not flag this whether it is a timeout or not. Now everyone does not agree with this, but the rule is to prevent the sleeper play. That is the spirit of the rule and that is how it should be enforced. Of course if you can inform the coaches and players of this situation, then I think we should do so. My crew has not called this all year and we do not plan to unless there is some deception on the offense's part.

Peace
Old Sat Oct 08, 2005, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

I agree, fix the problem. But sometimes we're not able to fix it.

My problem with not flagging it is this may create bad habits for a team, and they get a crew later who flags it every time.

We've gone round and round about this in NC. We've basically decided to fix it if possible, but flag it if we can't. Ultimately, by now the teams should know how to line up.

Now, our state association origianlly decided we should enforce the 9 yard on Free Kicks as well. But every game I've worked this season, we've chosen to ignore that.
Old Sat Oct 08, 2005, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Preventative officiating. Talk to the receiver and/or coach. Solve it before it happens. I like the idea of the wings stopping at the 9 yard marks and telling the receiver to wait until the ready to move out.

Case closed.
Old Sat Oct 08, 2005, 09:50am
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by grantsrc
Preventative officiating. Talk to the receiver and/or coach. Solve it before it happens. I like the idea of the wings stopping at the 9 yard marks and telling the receiver to wait until the ready to move out.

Case closed.
I do like that myself...
Old Sat Oct 08, 2005, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
We discussed that if the defense covers the receivers, then do not flag this whether it is a timeout or not. Now everyone does not agree with this, but the rule is to prevent the sleeper play. That is the spirit of the rule and that is how it should be enforced. Of course if you can inform the coaches and players of this situation, then I think we should do so. My crew has not called this all year and we do not plan to unless there is some deception on the offense's part.

Peace
JR has the intent covered very well. I would not flag if the D sees it in time to cover it.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Sure the intent of the rule is to prevent the sleeper play, but can the offense gain an advantage even if the defense covers the player? Of course they can. They can line up illegally and snap right after the ready for play (think hurry-up) and gain the extra width of the field. Is it that big of a deal? Probably not. However, this is a penalty that will be real obvious that it was not called on tape. It is real easy to prevent, just tell the player to wait inside the numbers until the RFP.

Prevent it if possible, flag it if not. Flag it once and that team will never do it again.

This is basic football - learn to line up properly. I tell players who line up in the neutral zone to back up if possible, and flag it if they don't. How is this any different?

BTW - the rule does NOT apply to free kicks. It only applies between the RFP and the SNAP. I don't have my book in front of me, so I can't give an exact rule quote. Trying to enforce this on the kickoff would be a nightmare.