The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Joint possession (https://forum.officiating.com/football/22498-joint-possession.html)

Forksref Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:55am

4th down. K is in punt formation, K40 is in the EZ and mishandles the snap. K40 and R75 get joint possession in the EZ. TD for R?

Texoma_LJ Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:10am

Don't have my book with me, but joint possession of a fumble is awarded to the team last in possession of the ball prior to the fumble. Therefore, ball would be awarded to Team K. Since the ball becoame dead in K's endzone, R would be awarded a safety and K will free kick from K's 20.

U52 Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:14am

I would agree with Tex, possession wouldn't change until after the kick.

Bob M. Fri Oct 07, 2005 01:36pm

REPLY: Tex is correct...possession to K results in a safety. What about this: K punts from his two. Kick is blocked and rolls into K's end zone where it is simultaneously recovered by K1 and R1. Any different?

U52 Fri Oct 07, 2005 01:47pm

I will Stick my neck out on this one, no rules book for help, but I would say Safety. Due to the fact that the ball has not passed the LOS ?

schwinn Fri Oct 07, 2005 01:48pm

TD. R recovered jointly with K and it belongs to R.

JDLJ Fri Oct 07, 2005 01:54pm

Schwinn wins the cookie. A kick in joint possession goes to the receiver.

Sonofanump Fri Oct 07, 2005 01:58pm

Is this not a run play and therefore K/A's ball and a saftey? The desciption says the ball was not kicked.

schwinn Fri Oct 07, 2005 02:03pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Sonofanump
Is this not a run play and therefore K/A's ball and a saftey? The desciption says the ball was not kicked.
Actually I want to clarify that I was responding to Bob's scenario. You might be looking at the original play.

Striker991 Fri Oct 07, 2005 03:24pm

Joint possession

Joint possession is just a misdemeanor in my state....

(Sorry...I really, really, tried to stop myself...)

Jim S Fri Oct 07, 2005 06:13pm

That's OK, in some places Joint Possession means you bought the bar for the night...........

JugglingReferee Fri Oct 07, 2005 07:09pm

Canadian Ruling

Quote:

Originally posted by Forksref
4th down. K is in punt formation, K40 is in the EZ and mishandles the snap. K40 and R75 get joint possession in the EZ. TD for R?
Safety.

Quote:

Originally posted by Bob M.
What about this: K punts from his two. Kick is blocked and rolls into K's end zone where it is simultaneously recovered by K1 and R1.
Safety.

wisref2 Sat Oct 08, 2005 08:37pm

It is a touchdown - see casebook play 6.2.7. The ruling reads, in part, "The ball is awarded to R when any scrimmage kick ...... becomes dead inbounds anywhere while opponents are in joint possession." Rule references 4-2-2e and 8-2-2b).

If each player is also in possession of a joint, I would use rule 9-8-1j. Since you probably don't have a field test kit with you, I would rule is as being tobacco. That would be 15 yards for unsportsmanlike. I would also confiscate the material in order to prevent future violations - preventive officiating. What you do with it after that it up to you! :)

MJT Sat Oct 08, 2005 09:13pm

Quote:

Originally posted by wisref2
It is a touchdown - see casebook play 6.2.7. The ruling reads, in part, "The ball is awarded to R when any scrimmage kick ...... becomes dead inbounds anywhere while opponents are in joint possession." Rule references 4-2-2e and 8-2-2b).

If each player is also in possession of a joint, I would use rule 9-8-1j. Since you probably don't have a field test kit with you, I would rule is as being tobacco. That would be 15 yards for unsportsmanlike. I would also confiscate the material in order to prevent future violations - preventive officiating. What you do with it after that it up to you! :)

And the proof is in the case book!! :)

BktBallRef Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:13pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jim S
That's OK, in some places Joint Possession means you bought the bar for the night...........
That's awful, Jim. :(

:D