The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone know where to get one of those timers that is about double the size of a pager, goes on your belt, and can be used for play and time out timing?
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Check the advertisement in the NF rule book. I think it is on one of the covers.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

http://www.grimmscientific.com/readyref.html
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

I have it and use it, a great tool. Do not wear this on the wings, coaches figure out what it is and give you heck over it. ditto on the NFHS book, front inside cover.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the link, Patton. Since I work Texas (NCAA) the only time I've ever seen a NF football rule book was in a coaches office preparing for a basketball game (about 12-15 years ago). I wonder if the coach knew Texas used NCAA rules.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by irefky
I have it and use it, a great tool. Do not wear this on the wings, coaches figure out what it is and give you heck over it.
Why?
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

I have used one for years. When you order, tell them you need it to give you a 10 second warning not the default 5 second warning. They can adjust it at the factory and are happy to do so. You need to signal at 10 seconds prior to end of play clock, not 5.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

We got a guy that has one and his buzzes at 20 or 45....why would you need 10 second warning instead of 5? BJ is supposed to do a visible count for the last 5.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA mechanic is to hold hand in air at 10 seconds left mark.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Ahhhh. Finally we hear the reason to change the indication from 5 to 10 seconds. I think you had mentioned that before but didn't give the reason. Thanks.

I used mine again last night. I bought it last year for my crew. My BJ loved it. Both he and I are on different crews this year and he went and bought his own because he liked it so much. I still can't convince the BJ on my new crew to use it. He likes his watch too much I guess. I will be filling in at BJ for a different crew later this year and working BJ for two games last night was very good practice. I can see I am going to get a workout back there.

I also would not wear it on the wings but not because of the coaches but because either BJ for 5-man or R for 4-man has the timing.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrenkicker
Ahhhh. Finally we hear the reason to change the indication from 5 to 10 seconds. I think you had mentioned that before but didn't give the reason. Thanks.

I used mine again last night. I bought it last year for my crew. My BJ loved it. Both he and I are on different crews this year and he went and bought his own because he liked it so much. I still can't convince the BJ on my new crew to use it. He likes his watch too much I guess. I will be filling in at BJ for a different crew later this year and working BJ for two games last night was very good practice. I can see I am going to get a workout back there.

I also would not wear it on the wings but not because of the coaches but because either BJ for 5-man or R for 4-man has the timing.
I actualy wear it on the wings, but don't use it. I only wear it just in case our BJ gets hurt or for a secondary timer.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

these are awesome, especially in a dark stadium. some of the small towns in geogia barely has enough lights to see the players much less your watch. it frees your eyes up to pay attention to the field not your watch.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

>>NCAA mechanic is to hold hand in air at 10 seconds left mark<<

Isn't that only in situations where the clock isn't visible or is malfunctioned? Also, I know the TASO mechanics list it, but do the CCA mechanics list it as well?

I guess what they should have is two warnings, at 5 and 10, but are different in type.
Old Sat Oct 15, 2005, 05:42am
Official Forum Member

Yes it is only for those times but the whole thrust of the reason why you even have one is because there is no visible field 25 second clock. Remember, most of the poor souls here do not referee in Texas, they are in the hinterlands where they do not typically have the field 25 sec clocks.

The mechanic is in the CCA manual, and as for the TASO manual, where do you think the TASO manual came from?????? It is almost a verbatime repeat of the 5 man CCA mechanics manual of old.

Not sure why you need 2 warnings as the only one needed in TASO/CCA is at 10 seconds left.