The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 09:19am
tpaul

Again, here is a call that decieded the game!

K-6 R-7

20 seconds on the clock and running.

K 4-10 @50. K punts the ball. R muffs the kick inside the 5 yardline. K recovers on the goal line (clock ran out). Ruling:

This maybe simple call for most of us but the crew that had this game awarded a TD to K and they won the game. This is why it is so important that the whole crew understands the rules not just the referee!
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
out of 5 guys no one knew the rule? maybe they should never get another game, thats horrible.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

You should be posting this to their assignors door and their chapter officers. Something is lacking in their training or rules review sessions.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

After the officials are shown the error of their ways, somebody needs to talk to the coach and/or kids.

Was this the final play of the game? if so, what was R doing anywhere NEAR the kick? And what was K doing kicking the ball with 20 seconds left to go if they needed the score?

Sounds like EVERYONE screwed up on this play.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

OK, I'll bite, what's the correct call?
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
REPLY: Note that the play said that the kick was lying on R's goal line when K recovered meaning that it broke the plane of R's goal. What is it when a legal kick breaks the plane of R's goal line?
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
Quote:
REPLY: Note that the play said that the kick was lying on R's goal line when K recovered meaning that it broke the plane of R's goal. What is it when a legal kick breaks the plane of R's goal line?
I went back and re-read the post and I don't see where it says that the ball was lying on the goal line. If it was, then I see your point, Touchback. But, if in the mad scramble for the ball, the guy that ended up with it was laying on the goalline with it, then the TD is correct. In my mind, the original post isn't all that clear, but the fact that it was posted in such a way as to indicate the crew botched it, I see your point.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

By NCAA the correct call is TD. But after watching this site for some time I know it's a toucback for NF rules no matter if the ball is first touched by team R (B) or not.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I went back and re-read the post and I don't see where it says that the ball was lying on the goal line. If it was, then I see your point, Touchback. But, if in the mad scramble for the ball, the guy that ended up with it was laying on the goalline with it, then the TD is correct. In my mind, the original post isn't all that clear, but the fact that it was posted in such a way as to indicate the crew botched it, I see your point.
K recovers on the goalline is the original post. Touchback when the ball breaks the plane of the goalline. If K recovers in the field of play they can't advance so there's no way K can score.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: We're going to turn you into a Federation official yet, Jason!

W & S...if K actually did recover the ball on R's goal line, then it HAD to break the plan of R's goal prior to recovery, hence a TB. If he recovered it prior to the kick penetrating R's goal, then it would be dead there since K cannot advance a kick and any advance into R's end zone would be with a dead ball. There's no way he could ever score a TD on the play as tpaul laid it out. In either case the game would be over. I don't understand what scenario you could envision where K could score a TD.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
this must of been the last play of the half, there is no way they would be punting the ball down 7-6 with only 20 seconds remaing from midfield. this just does not make sense.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
REPLY: We're going to turn you into a Federation official yet, Jason!

W & S...if K actually did recover the ball on R's goal line, then it HAD to break the plan of R's goal prior to recovery, hence a TB. If he recovered it prior to the kick penetrating R's goal, then it would be dead there since K cannot advance a kick and any advance into R's end zone would be with a dead ball. There's no way he could ever score a TD on the play as tpaul laid it out. In either case the game would be over. I don't understand what scenario you could envision where K could score a TD.
I'm not disagreeing with what you all are saying. I'm just rather new at football and trying to understand the ruling. Thanks for filling me in.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 05:21pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by yankeesfan
this must of been the last play of the half, there is no way they would be punting the ball down 7-6 with only 20 seconds remaing from midfield. this just does not make sense.
yankeesfan,
It was the end of the game. You're right. It looks as though they gave up and the game was over!

To everybody else.....
you're right something needs to be done. I am looking to get newspaper article on the game story. This action did not go un-noticed!
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tpaul
Quote:
yankeesfan,
It was the end of the game. You're right. It looks as though they gave up and the game was over!

To everybody else.....
you're right something needs to be done. I am looking to get newspaper article on the game story. This action did not go un-noticed!
Now now. These things happen. If R had scored more earlier in the game, they wouldn't have been in this position to begin with. You can't blame the loss on the officiating crew. Where'd this game happen anyhow?
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 06:01pm
tpaul

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by tpaul
Quote:
yankeesfan,

To everybody else.....
Now now. These things happen. If R had scored more earlier in the game, they wouldn't have been in this position to begin with. You can't blame the loss on the officiating crew. Where'd this game happen anyhow?
Blame the officials? They gave A TD when it should have been a TB for B game over...The officals decieded the game and did it incorrectly!

I don't want to name locations because there are a lot of good officials in the area and I wouldn't want to bring the rest down because of the botch job of 5!