The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Obviously from our angle, it doesn't look like we have anything, but your question may be how to enforce the penalty that was called. If it was DPI, 15 yards and 1st down, but it looks like it would be half the distance to the goal line since it seems they started within the 30.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: CoachJM…since there is virtually 100% consensus that the play your provided doesn’t appear to be anything, let’s go back to your original question and answer the questions you posed, specifically the differences between NFHS and NCAA related to pass interference.

First, those actions which will draw a flag for PI are pretty much the same for NFHS and NCAA…with one notable exception. In NFHS, waving the arms/hands in front of the receiver’s eyes to obstruct his vision is called “faceguarding” and is a form of pass interference. In NCAA, pass interference must include personal contact. So faceguarding is legal in NCAA ball.

As far as penalties are concerned, NFHS’s penalty for defensive pass interference is 15 yards from the previous spot and the awarding of an automatic first down. The penalty for offensive pass interference is 15 yards from the previous spot and loss of down.

For NCAA, the penalty for offensive pass interference is 15 yards from the previous spot—no loss of down. That is, they get to replay the previous down. The penalty for defensive pass interference is more complicated. It’s a first down at the spot of the foul if that spot is less than 15 yards in advance of the spot the ball was snapped. It’s a first down 15 yards from the previous spot if that the foul occurred more than 15 yards in advance of the previous spot. If the ball is snapped between B’s 17 and B’s 2 and the foul occurs beyond B’s 2, then Team A is awarded a first down at B’s 2. (Note: In such a case, the “half-the-distance” rule is insignificant.) If the previous spot is inside B’s 2, then A gets a first down half-the-distance to the goal. An easy way to remember this is to start walking from the previous spot and stop when you reach the first of these reference spots:
SPOT OF THE FOUL
15 YARDS IN ADVANCE OF PREVIOUS SPOT
2-YD LINE
HALF-THE-DISTANCE.

In all cases, defensive pass interference also carries an automatic first down (new series).
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Smile

Thanks to all who have replied.

For clarity, I am not a coach of this team, I just volunteered to do the game videos. As HLin NC correctly observed, this is Jr. High, primarily 8th graders, playing in a weight segregated (this level is 107-125 lbs.) travel league which uses NFHS rules. The games are officiated by 3-man crews who are supposed to be I(llinois)HSA-certified.

The call made on the field was DPI, the ball was placed just outside the defense's 10 yd. line, and the offense was awarded a 1st down. Needless to say, this call was not very popular with the fans of the defensive team.

I had two reeasons for posting:

1. To get some unbiased & objective opinions on whether or not the correct call was made.

2. To get a better understanding of the rules involved.

There was quite a bit of discussion among the fans about this play, primarily regarding whether or not a 1st down should have been awarded, what the proper spot should have been, and whether the pass was "catchable".

From the responses (thanks to Bob M. for the thorough answer regarding the rules), my understanding is that the 1st down is awarded by rule on a DPI even though the offense did not reach the line to gain, and the proper spot should have been about the 12 & 1/2 yd. line because it was a 15 yd. penalty from a previous spot inside the 30 - therefore, 1/2 the distance rather than 15 yds.

The one question that remains unresolved is whether a determination of whether the pass was catchable has any bearing on the call. My understanding is that this is not relevant under NFHS rules, but that it would be relevant in a game played under NCAA rules.

Thanks.

JM

Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: CaochJM...sorry, I forgot to mention that strictly speaking, "catchability" has no significnace in Federation ball like it does in NCAA. However, Federation has started to come around by saying that defensive PI-type contact away from the direction of the pass should not be flagged. But if that contact is on a receiver in the same direction as the pass is thrown--even if it's twenty feet over his head--you technically have pass interference in Federation, whereas it would be waved off in NCAA.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CoachJM
From the responses (thanks to Bob M. for the thorough answer regarding the rules), my understanding is that the 1st down is awarded by rule on a DPI even though the offense did not reach the line to gain, and the proper spot should have been about the 12 & 1/2 yd. line because it was a 15 yd. penalty from a previous spot inside the 30 - therefore, 1/2 the distance rather than 15 yds.
That's correct.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Thumbs up

Thanks much.

JM