The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 26, 2005, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Surprised at the vehemence of the responses. I did say I don't do Fed. I guess it can be harder in FED than NCAA on this, since in NCAA, the referee only has to worry about 2 things - where was the QB when he released, and where was the ball when the pass ended. I see what you're saying, though, when your trigger is the INITIAL direction of the ball (as in FED), and not the EVENTUAL direction of the ball (as in NCAA).
Old Mon Sep 26, 2005, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stevesmith
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Y'all (Fed folks) have the WING make this decision? Isn't R in the best position to make that call? (And aren't the wings concentrating on a LOT of things other than the location of the QB when he throws it?)
R is on QB's right and behind him, at a 45 degree angle. QB turns and throws to the right sideline.

How can the R possibly know whether the pass has an initial direction of forwards or backwards?
Not to mention the R may be 10-15 yards behind the play while the wings may have the perfect angle down the line! I'll let my wings make this call all night.

AMEN!
Old Mon Sep 26, 2005, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with Suudy. On our crew the wings take it. Not really a need to punch back. If the play is to my side I'll either have a whistle or not, if there's no whistle, we're playing.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2005, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bob M.
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Personally I think the far-side wing can better see the direction of the pass, but it would be extremely difficult for someone 50 yards away sell this call.
Excellent point Bob M. It may be a difficult sell for the opposite wing guy but if he clearly sees it's backwards then he is in great position to help out the R on the call. I personally like the idea of the wings punching back on a backwards pass but the majority of white hats that I've talked to don't seem to like that mechanic.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2005, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

First of all, I never woulda thought this could turn into a 2 page thread, but I'll take it.

For the record, our association has always said for the wings (where i was working) to punch back on a backward pass. I thought it was forward, so I never punched back, and as the ball hit the turf, I IMMEDIATELY hit the whistle and signaled incomplete pass.