The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

2nd and 10 from the 50 yard line. A1 throws a long pass. B1 makes an over the shoulder interception at the 8 yard line. In full stride he is immediately contacted by A2.
Both players momentum carry them into B's end zone where B1 is tackled.

Ruling: B's ball 1st and 10 at the 8???..Safety????.or Touchback?????
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Where ever his volunteery backward momentum takes him. Once it is apparent he no longer is going backwards under his own control, that is the dead ball spot.

I would likely call it the 8-yard line because of the contact by A but it technically wouldn't be correct.

I would never go with a safety unless it was completely obvious that the player went into the end zone under his own accord.

It can't be a touchback because team B provide the force that put the ball into their own endzone and momentum doesn't apply because the catch was completed at the 8. Or the ball was already dead in the field of play.

[Edited by mikesears on Sep 23rd, 2005 at 12:01 PM]
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
Where ever his volunteery backward momentum takes him. Once it is apparent he no longer is going backwards under his own control, that is the dead ball spot.

I would likely call it the 8-yard line because of the contact by A but it technically wouldn't be correct.

I would never go with a safety unless it was completely obvious that the player went into the end zone under his own accord.

It can't be a touchback because team B provide the force that put the ball into their own endzone and momentum doesn't apply because the catch was completed at the 8. Or the ball was already dead in the field of play.

[Edited by mikesears on Sep 23rd, 2005 at 12:01 PM]
I agree Mike, and the best of what you said is "I would never go with a safety unless it was completely obvious that the player went into the end zone under his own accord."
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA - If the ball was caught at the 8 yard line and ended in the end zone, safety.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Forward Progress

Even though the ball carrier was on defense, you still have forward progress as Mike Sears pointed out. Its dead once its no longer his momentum carrying him.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Safety Exception- When a Team B player intercepts a forward pass, fumble or backward pass or catches a scrimmage or free kick between his five-yard line and the goal line and the runner’s original momentum carries him into the end zone, where the ball is declared dead in his team’s possession, the ball belongs to Team B at the spot where the pass or fumble was intercepted or the kick was caught.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

I think what the forward progress argument is trying to say is that that if B intercepts it on the 8 yard line and moving towards the end zone, is contacted by A at the 2 yard line and driven into the end zone before being brought down; is it a safety or would you spot it at the 2? (original has 8)

I would tend to mark it at the 2.

Was B trying to turn? So many possibilities.
Was it obvious B was going into his own endzone without the assist from A?

Where's the video??

[Edited by l3will on Sep 23rd, 2005 at 03:22 PM]
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

It is a safety. Momentum applies to a catch or recovery inside the 5 yard line. If the play ends with the ball in that players possession, it will come back to the spot of of the catch or recovery inside the 5.

Basically, the NCAA is giving the player the benefit of the doubt within the 5 yard line. Anything outside of the 5 yard line, the rules says the player could have stopped before going into the end zone.

My previous post was quoted directly from the NCAA rulebook and there are several Approved Rulings with sample plays in the back of the book.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Sure if it is his original momentum that put him in the endzone, then a safey. If he is resisting the tackle, then where was the ball when he started resisting (forward progress). That's all I'm saying.

As originally posed, it is probably a safety.... but still would like to see the video!
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by l3will
Sure if it is his original momentum that put him in the endzone, then a safey. If he is resisting the tackle, then where was the ball when he started resisting (forward progress). That's all I'm saying.

As originally posed, it is probably a safety.... but still would like to see the video!
Okay, I'll agree with that.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS - 8.5.2a This sitch would have the ball belonging to B at the 5 yd line.

If B intercepts between his 5yd line or goal line and his momnetum carries him into the EZ, it comes back to where he intercepted it.

WM
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 09:03pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by YellowFlag
2nd and 10 from the 50 yard line. A1 throws a long pass. B1 makes an over the shoulder interception at the 8 yard line. In full stride he is immediately contacted by A2.
Both players momentum carry them into B's end zone where B1 is tackled.

Ruling: B's ball 1st and 10 at the 8???..Safety????.or Touchback?????
B 1D/10 @ B-8.