The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

I'd like your opinions on what verbal outburst(s) gets a coach an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. In other words, what does the coach have to say to cross the line?

I had one in a JV game today. Coach first yells to me, "Get your head in the game!" Then, a few seconds later, unloads with a, "you've already earned your pay with that _ _ _ _ call, etc."

Had he not verbalized it loud enough for half the stadium to hear then I might have let it slide.

So what does it take for the coach to cross your line?
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kentref
"you've already earned your pay with that _ _ _ _ call, "
That would earn him a flag, an ejection and a one game suspension in NC.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Here's my approach:

If it's personal - he's very likely to get a flag, especially if anyone else can hear it. The second comment he made to you would have drawn a flag. The first one would have at least earned a friendly, but very stern warning.

If he questions your integrity, you have to flag it. (calling you a homer, telling his players that they won't get any calls because your crew is terrible, etc.)

If he's out on the field and complaining, flag it. How far on the field? The 9-yard marks are certainly too far, or outside the 25 yard line of the team box.

Swearing when someone else can hear it is automatic. Swearing when nobody else hears it is borderline - you have to consider the situation and what has happened before. Error on the side of tossing the flag.

If he's playing to the crowd or inciting the crowd or his players, flag it.

And then sometimes, it's just not worth throwing the flag. It's kind of like art - you'll know it when you see it.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 12:27am
Never Stop Learning

Sounds to me like that coach thought he was talking to one of his players. I personaly would have tried to nip it in the bud with the first comment and the second one would earn an early check out and a weeks vacation. We deserve the same respect that we give to the coaches.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

i have only flagged a coach one time. timeout was called to tend to an injured player and the coach came out on the field and started yelling at R. i asked him repeatedly to tend to his player or leave the field. he just ignored me and kept in on the referee. i threw the flag so that god could see it. that just made things heat up. we ended up giving him another flag and ejection. we did not realize that he had not left the sideline until he called timeout a few plays later.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jrfath
I have flagged two HS coaches this year working linesman.

First one was a varsity game, when after he questioned a call, R met with him. He didn't like the answer, and was still arguing somewhat. BJ told the coach to "lets go coach, just coach 'em up". Head coach answered to BJ yelling..."I have to coach you up because you suck!" I did not hesitate on that one.

Second one was a JV game, where after explaining to a coach why a pass on a potentially tieing 2-point conversion was incomplete (close call), I began running up the sideline to get ready for the kick off. He was still arguing the call, and muttered "that is f'ing rediculous" loud enough for me to clearly hear it 10 yards away. I did not hesitate on that one either.

My basis...if a coach used any profanity in a disrespecting way towards an official, or towards a call made. Other than that, it depends on the situation, kind of like the first one I mentioned above.

I don't like to flag coaches, but when the line is crossed, you can't hesitate.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to dh898
Sideline warnings, as a newbie, seem to be selectively used. When I'm a LJ or HL I work to keep my side off the field. Then I look over to the other sideline the coach is almost at the numbers talking to his QB every play. I don't think this should be legal as we're not in the Arena League. What are your all thoughts on this?
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Sideline warnings are SUPPOSED to be for things like - too many coaches in the box, coaches on the field, players in the coaching box, etc. Not for borderline USC.

That said - I've seen guys with much more experience than me use the SW as a "Shut up, Coach" warning. I have not, and try to use a judicious, "That's enough, coach" when appropriate, and flag as USC when appropriate (i.e. personal, flagrant).
Old Sat Sep 24, 2005, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Here's some additional perspective:

Last night's varsity game and I'm HL on the visitor's sideline. The head coach is chirping about calls pretty much all night. Generally the comments are mostly like, "how can you not call that, etc., etc."

This continued throughout the game, even with his team up by 4-5 TDs.

I probably have more tolerance for a coach's chatter than others (from what my colleagues have told me). I do however draw the line at comments that are sarcastic and disrespectful and can be heard by more than just the coach and me. When I've heard enough, I'll tell the coach, "Coach, that's enough" and put up the stop sign.

Old Sat Sep 24, 2005, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

I don't think you can say what will or will not draw a flag cuz it depends on so many things. You really need to weigh so many factors to decide on if a comment warrents a flag or not. We all have different personalities and the amount of string we give a coach to play with. Sometimes one comment will cut a big chunk of string, or even cut it all at once, but often those little comments just take a little bit of string. At least that is how I look at it with the kids I teach and the coaches I work for.
Old Sat Sep 24, 2005, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

If a coach is going nuts on a call, I let him rant and show to the world how stupid he looks and sounds. If he's on the field, and gets off, he gets warned assuming nothing personal comes out, or there isn't language. But then he gets a reminder that if he does it again, he'll get flagged, and that it won't take much for me to do that. I know I cut too much slack, but it usually works because I remind them I'm being kind when I don't have to.

Not sure if a coach is berating a specific official that someone else should throw a flag, again short of language or something like that. In other words, if he's going after a WH, then the WH should throw the flag.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Maeder
Sounds to me like that coach thought he was talking to one of his players. I personaly would have tried to nip it in the bud with the first comment and the second one would earn an early check out and a weeks vacation. We deserve the same respect that we give to the coaches.
Hey Ed, can you email me via the board. I'm an official in Kenai and have a question for ya.

Thanks